FORUMS: list search recent posts

Annoying donuts

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nigel Thompson
Annoying donuts
on Aug 25, 2012 at 12:13:58 pm

Hey guys:

I've got a Micro Matte box which is pretty great but those freakin screwy donuts annoy my a$$ to no end. Been using Optar illumina lenses, really nice glass that I think is overlooked by many, they are much sharper than RED PRIMES, at least to my eyes.
Anyway with the Optars we have managed to use those silly donuts and get away with it. But I'm thinking about buying a RED zoom 18-85 for run and gun projects. Is there any type of universal donut thingy I can get that will work with a 142mm Diameter ? Or should I just sell the damn matte box and get a better one .

Saw this out of Australia I think, seems interesting :
http://brighttangerine.com/index

Or should I just spend my money and get an Arri?

Sigh

High End, Production & Post Production
in the Caribbean
http://www.bistt.com

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Annoying donuts
on Aug 25, 2012 at 5:38:09 pm

Well what is it about the donuts that you find annoying? Don't fit? Hard to use? Mouthy? Bad attitude? :)

Seriously, it'd be a little helpful to know why those are annoying you. You said it was the "Micro Matte box"... is that the RedRock microMatteBox?

Also, how are you using it it?... I'm guessing on rails as usual, since the Redrock is a swing-away that is obviously used on rails. I only ask that because during my brief look it seems that the vast majority of the Bright Tangerine boxes you linked to (never heard of them before), are lightweight clip-on boxes, not heavier rails-mounted boxes.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Nigel Thompson
on Aug 26, 2012 at 12:39:08 pm

Hey Todd:
sorry for being so vague... i think that should explain why they are so annoying lol.

Yes its the Micro Matte box from REDrock Micro. The Donuts come in 4 sizes and 4 sizes only. They are made of a kind of soft neoprene like material, so they bend easily and therefore never stay put or warp when u are trying to get them in a specific position.

If you have used a micro matte box u would know. the matte boxes are great but those donuts good lord.

the strummer boxes i showed there is something i just found yesterday actually, been looking at a Movcam matte box as well.

https://secure.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=movcam+matte+box&N=0&InitialSe...

High End, Production & Post Production
in the Caribbean
http://www.bistt.com

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Aug 27, 2012 at 2:44:55 pm

Hmmmm... yes I've used the Redrock box, but haven't had trouble with the donuts.

Sounds like you may just need to cut some yourself out of some material that fit better. I'm getting the feeling that the ones you are using are too snug. They shouldn't "stretch" around a lens barrel (and thus warp), they should fit loosely around it... so that external-focusing lenses can still turn, or that internal-focusing lenses (more likely with real cine lenses) can still easily move in and out... not "grabbing" onto the donut as the lens moves.

I've never had any trouble with donuts in any box, Redrock or otherwise... but all of my primes have the same 74mm fronts (a common cine size) that fit fine (except one big wide-angle 18mm that has a 109mm front...with that one I don't need a donut at all, I use it without one).

I think you can solve your issue by going with different-sized donuts, even if you have to custom make one (or some). I'm not sure the issue warrants a whole new matte box (especially since the Redrock is a really good box... and we're talking about a very inexpensive part vs. a pretty expensive box)... and I'm not sure a different box would solve your problem anyway.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]