FORUMS: list search recent posts

Field Monitors - recommendations?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dylan Hargreaves
Field Monitors - recommendations?
on Jun 2, 2012 at 8:21:54 pm

Hey all,

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good small-ish field monitor that won't break the bank?

I currently use a 7" Datavision but it's not much good for anything other than frame referencing. The resolution's not great for focusing, I can't seem to callibrate it no matter what I do and the exposure's way off.

I'm looking at purchasing an FS700, and with that crappy topside LCD I reckon I'm gonna need a better monitor. Something lighter than the Datavision too which is too heavy for anything less than a Magic Arm.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Cheers,

D

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: Field Monitors - recommendations?
on Jun 4, 2012 at 4:49:30 pm

I don't know what your budget is but I really like my SmallHD DP6. 1280x720 resolution.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Dylan Hargreaves
on Jun 5, 2012 at 8:56:29 pm

Thanks Jason, price point is around right - was hoping for something in the sub 1k market. Do you know if SmallHD have resolved the issue with the display having a slightly yellowish cast?
D

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jun 5, 2012 at 9:58:06 pm

I don't know about the yellowish issue, but in the sub-$1K category I believe SmallHD are the only true HD small field monitors you will find (and they are 720p).

The trouble is, as I am sure you know, there are TONS of small inexpensive LCD TTF monitors out there that say they are HD, but that means they will only take in an HD signal. They don't come anywhere near actually displaying HD... some of them are as little as 300 or 400 lines. In fact, most of them are. Ok for framing, but certainly not for focusing. They have led to a lot of people shooting soft video.

To get a real 1080 HD picture in a small field monitor that usually means something like the little Astros... which are great monitors but also roughly the price of a good late-model low-miles used Buick.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Jun 5, 2012 at 10:07:46 pm

[Dylan Hargreaves] "Do you know if SmallHD have resolved the issue with the display having a slightly yellowish cast?"

I remember having that issue when I first bought the monitor, but there has been a number of firmware updates since then and the problem has been resolved.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Dylan Hargreaves
on Jun 6, 2012 at 4:19:29 pm

Todd, Jason, thanks so much for your input. Always appreciated!

Return to posts index

Brian Dickman
on Jun 7, 2012 at 5:44:26 pm

I've used the DP6 on a few shoots and really liked it.
I use the Marshall V-LCD70P-HDMI quite a bit, but don't like it as much. It's bigger, takes bigger batteries, only one 1/4-20 mount, and sometimes the colors and exposure aren't accurate.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]