FORUMS: list search recent posts

Food Network B-Roll shots - how they do it?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Laughlin
Food Network B-Roll shots - how they do it?
on May 31, 2012 at 5:16:22 pm

On the "Next Food Network Star" tv program, they have their editors often cut to shots of cityscapes and shots of the buildings and inner city with streets and cars and traffic moving really really fast!

My question is: How is the camera man or the editors achieving the time-lapse shots that "pan" from right to left or left to right? We see fast movement time lapse and we also see the shot panning left to right or up or down, or oftentimes, like on the tv show "Monster Man", they do these smooth crane shots with slow dolly moves up and down and time ramps or time lapses.

Can anyone explain how they shoot them and how they are created in post?

Thanks,

Tom

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Editor
Digital Chop House
Salt Lake City, Utah

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Food Network B-Roll shots - how they do it?
on May 31, 2012 at 5:50:56 pm

I haven't seen that particular show... but I've seen several others that do pretty much exactly that effect.

Most of them are created with small cameras (DSLRs, usually) on motorized sliders that veeeeery slowly move the camera from one end of the slider to the other during the course of the time-lapse. Last year I read about a guy who did all of the advance second-unit shooting for one of the network's (I forget which) NFL football coverage... which used timelapse cityscapes as bumpers going in out out of commercial breaks. He would go into a given city a few days before gameday with his camera and big motorized slider and get all the needed shots.

There have been lots of people doing DIY motion control shots, using everything from real servos to something as simple as wind-up kitchen timers to power slow camera moves.

That's the simplist way... if you want something more complex than the simple dolly move that a slider can give (such as actual pans and tilts of the camera head, or crane moves), then that requires more sophisticated motion-control camera support systems.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 31, 2012 at 7:53:36 pm

One other method is to adapt one of the star-trackers from an astronomy telescope, cover 2 axes. Me, I love the kitchen timer thing, going to have to try that some time.

Return to posts index

Tom Laughlin
on May 31, 2012 at 10:44:47 pm

I'm still very virgin on this process, can you describe how you would set up a scenario to get a shot like this, a list of gear, equipment, etc, maybe the guerrilla filmmaker way of executing it, as well as the more studio expensive way?

Muchos gracias,

Tom

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Editor
Digital Chop House
Salt Lake City, Utah

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Jun 1, 2012 at 2:50:55 pm

I've done it with a gopro hero2 literally mounted on top of a kitchen timer (the ones that go around as they trace out an hour). Mine was actually as simple as taping the go pro to the timer.

Here are some videos of others doing the same:

I've since made a timer with a small motor and and arduino. I'll send pix later when I make my own tutorial.

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jun 1, 2012 at 2:52:41 pm

Tom Guilmette does a lot of this... he should be a good starting point for info....

http://www.tomguilmette.com/archives/2903

http://www.tomguilmette.com/wp/my-blog/archives/3117

http://cheesycam.com/kessler-motion-timelapse-slider/

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]