FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to display moods of happiness and sorrow with color correction in film?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sumeet khurana
How to display moods of happiness and sorrow with color correction in film?
on Mar 19, 2012 at 11:00:11 am

Hi, I need some help in color correction...I am in the process of shooting a film and editng in Apple Final Cut Pro application ...and my lead character displays moods of happiness and sorrow at different levels in the film.....Can somebody help me with what colors I shoud use to display different moods ( happiness and sorrow) from an artistic point rather than more from technical point...

Any help would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

sumeet khurana
Re: How to display moods of happiness and sorrow with color correction in film?
on Mar 19, 2012 at 12:17:42 pm

what if I give a blue tint to my video when my character is sad and give a green tint to my video when my character is happy?

Please give advise?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Mar 19, 2012 at 2:32:53 pm

Well aesthetically, blue and green wouldn't be my first two choices, as chromatically they are pretty similar, and on the same side of the proverbial color wheel.

Green tints on screen aren't usually thought of as "happy" colors, especially with the way they affect skin tones. Green is a more sickly/scary/dramatic color, as opposed to happy.

Normally I think someone would want to choose colors that are opposite from each other to cue opposing emotions.

The traditional cliche would be to use warm tones (yellows) for happy, and cool tones (blues) for sad.

That's not always true though. There's a new show on NBC called "Awake" where the main character is living two realities, and he doesn't know which is a dream. To keep them separate, they color grade one reality a bit warm, and the other a bit blue. They are not conveying emotion though (as sometimes the blue world is happy, and sometimes the warm world is sad), but just use it as a technique to differentiate between the two.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Mar 19, 2012 at 4:51:35 pm

And you should be thinking about a color scheme, not just an overall hue. Generally, there are 3 tones: the darks, the mids, the highs.

Check out this web site:
2,000 color schemes for happy
http://kuler.adobe.com/#themes/search?term=happy

700 color schemes for sad
http://kuler.adobe.com/#themes/search?term=sad

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 20, 2012 at 2:41:16 pm

Along with color grading, music really helps tell the emotional story here.

Return to posts index

sumeet khurana
on Mar 20, 2012 at 9:49:29 pm

Thank you Todd Terry,Richard Herd & Mark Suszko for the timely help.Thanks a lot. It really helped me a lot. Now color grading and color correction tutorials on web make more sense to me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]