FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cinematography Showreel

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bradley Stearn
Cinematography Showreel
on Feb 27, 2012 at 5:20:42 pm

Basically I started filmmaking and cinematography as a main hobby last year, and I put together quickly yesterday a reel of some of my favourite shots.

This is my first showreel, I am currently studying film and media at college and hope to carry film production and cinematography on at university level.

Constructive criticism would be great, also the shots that have an odd frame size and have the truck and people running, that was from a short film I shot in 2010, it was my first ever short film and I turned out bad, but I still loved it

Also I don't consider myself even an amateur at cinematography, and I know some people probably think my shots look like a beginners, this is because they are

Red Spectrum Pictures - http://youtube.com/redspectrumpictures

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Cinematography Showreel
on Feb 27, 2012 at 5:33:06 pm

I don't think it was particularly amateurish at all... at least not a good deal of it.

If you want to consider that a showreel, though, I think it needs some editing. I don't mean physical push-the-buttons editing (although that would be involved)... I mean making editorial decisions about what should stay and what should go.

Basically, whack out the amateurish shots and leave in the nice pretty polished ones. Leave the pretty cinematographic shots (which actually was most of them... windmill, boats, silhouettes, all that good stuff), and ax the home movie shots that anyone could take (golfers, cow).

Unfortunately YouTube's default thumbnail frame for the video is one of the golfers, which is by far the weakest of the video. There are some very strong shots in there, but alas, YouTube picked that one.

Promising work....

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Bradley Stearn
Re: Cinematography Showreel
on Feb 27, 2012 at 5:42:49 pm

Hey Todd, thanks for the great and quick response to my thread.

I fully agree with cutting out the golf video, the one with the skiing, they where just shots I added to add a variety to the reel. The shot of the cow I particularly liked, but I can decide if I want it or not in the future.

Basically I have another full year before I apply to university, so this time next year I can take the best shots from this video, and add them to what I do this year to make the best reel possible, and to make me stand out from the crowd when I apply at uni.

And yes, trust youtube to pick the worst thumbnail :)

It is very motivating for me as a teenage filmmaker when I get great replies like your one,

Bradley
Red Spectrum Pictures

Red Spectrum Pictures - http://youtube.com/redspectrumpictures

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]