FORUMS: list search recent posts

EXCELLENT day for night

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Terry
EXCELLENT day for night
on Feb 23, 2012 at 3:55:38 am

Well, I happen to be watching "Law & Order: SVU" right now. This show is not quite as good as it was in years past, but my friend Dann Florek has been on this show for years so I try to catch it.

In tonight's episode they have had several day-for-night scenes. I usually fairly hate day-for-night... but this stuff is excellent.

Definitely worth seeing if anyone is monitoring this forum (it's still happening as I type), or catch it when they rerun the episode.

Good stuff.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: EXCELLENT day for night
on Feb 23, 2012 at 2:31:38 pm

Todd,

They shoot L&O SVU with Arri Alexa(s); it might really be night! This camera has a nominal 800ASA and goes all the way to 3200 with relatively little noise/grain. There are many movies and TV shows that shoot on film, but use Alexas for the night shots.

JS

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Feb 23, 2012 at 4:10:08 pm

That's interesting, John... I thought all the L&Os were still 35mm Panny. Man, the Alexa has really taken over. When it won over Deakins, I knew it was the real deal.

These scenes were definitely day-for-night, though. Would be interesting to know how much painting was done in camera, if any... and how much was in post

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Feb 23, 2012 at 4:12:46 pm

Todd,

There is no painting in the camera; it was shot on Arri C-Log and color corrected in post. The camera has an 709 LUT built in so that the director can see a very good one-lite approximation of what it will look like in TV color and gamma, but the 12-bit 444 ProRes recoding (on SxS cards) gives post lots of room to play.

JS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]