FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice on camera to use for video shoot?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kat hayes
Advice on camera to use for video shoot?
on Feb 22, 2012 at 4:42:14 am

I want to shoot some footage that will be used for a 30-45 second web based commercial. The footage will not have any audio recorded on location, and the video will have quick cuts and different angles, with the overall theme trying to create the feeling of a high tech, stylized, and innovative company. We may or may not have lighting. If we do, it will be ARRI lighting.

We have access to both a Panasonic HVX200 and a 5D and a 7D.

1. Which camera would you recommend we shoot with for this project?
2. Which frame rate and resolution?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
Re: Advice on camera to use for video shoot?
on Feb 22, 2012 at 7:44:31 am

Lacking lighting and the need for sound sync it sounds like an SLR is a valid option, but I don't think we know nearly enough about the product or the location to tell you what will do better. If you're shooting something with small repeating patterns (like some suit coats, ventilation grills on high end equipment at a distance, etc.) you can get some nasty moiré patterns.

As for what rate to shoot at, if this is destined for one network shoot to that network's specs, if it's going to a few I would shoot it at 720/60, which will convert to 1080i and 1080p and web pretty easily. If you are delivering to a 1080i network be aware that SLR cameras do not shoot interlaced video.

Return to posts index

kat hayes
on Feb 22, 2012 at 4:35:23 pm

The footage will be of students in classrooms painting, drawing, working on computers, professors lecturing, demonstrating techniques, and footage of artwork on display in a small gallery. This commercial will be web based, and is not intended for a network.

1.) Will the HVX200 and the DSLRs be equally affected by the moiré patterns?
Is there a way to reduce the effect of them when shooting them or in post?

2.) Based on the additional info I provided, what would you recommend?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Feb 22, 2012 at 7:02:50 pm

You might have some Moire, but usually nobody but us professionals actually notice it. I wouldn't worry about it. The 5D advantages and the shallow depth of field fare outway the shortcomings.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

kat hayes
on Feb 22, 2012 at 11:19:03 pm

Could you elaborate a bit on the 5D advantages over the HVX200?

I know the HVX has better audio controls. How else does the 5D perform better over the HVX besides the shallow depth of field? I guess I'm trying to get an idea of when I would use the HVX vs. the 5D for footage these days.

Thanks!!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]