FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Backdrop Support, Vinyl, & Muslin for Studio Work

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank McKeown
Best Backdrop Support, Vinyl, & Muslin for Studio Work
on Feb 15, 2012 at 7:30:38 am

Hello,

I'm in the market for a decent backdrop support system and was wondering if anyone had recommendations. I'd rather get something decent that won't break on the 2nd use although I don;t want to burn money that I don't have.

Anyone have any support system for photo/video studio work they could recommend that is relatively portable and the top support beam won't bend, pieces won''t break, etc?

Thanks so much fir any advice!

Frank

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: Best Backdrop Support, Vinyl, & Muslin for Studio Work
on Feb 15, 2012 at 7:51:05 am

If you're using paper and vinyl indoors then two c-stand with sandbags can do the trick.

If you're using it outdoors or plan on using muslin quite often, I might recommend 2 or 3 stage combo stands with a piece of speed rail... bullet proof.

I'm sure there are purpose built backdrop stands that are quite nice, but generic grip equipment tends to flexible for many uses.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Feb 15, 2012 at 3:27:46 pm

Yep the grip equipment you probably already have works as well or better than the already-put-together backdrop "systems" that you can buy... without the cost.

Just run to Lowes or Home Depot and go into the electrical department and buy a piece of electrical conduit (usually 3/4" or 1", not the smallest stuff) for about four bucks and use that as your horizontal bar... held up by C-stands or junior stands. It's a fraction (a tiny fraction) of the cost of Speed Rail and will completely do the job as well.

And if traveling... the stuff is cheap enough that if you are using it on a distant location you don't even have to travel with it and worry about the cost... just buy it when you get wherever you are going, and ditch it before you head home.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 16, 2012 at 3:48:21 pm

As an alternative to c-stands for this kind of job, I find that the heavy duty speaker stands that come with PA systems have a wider, stabler footprint, yet weigh much less than a comparable c-stand.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]