FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is 60i better for slow motion than 30p?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Redman
Is 60i better for slow motion than 30p?
on Feb 7, 2012 at 7:26:59 am

Hi, I was wondering if it is of advantage to shoot interlaced compared to progressive when you want slow-motion footage. Obviously you always want the highest frame rate possible and 60i and 30p are just random examples as those modes are fairly common on a lot of cameras.

So I would assume that when you were to deinterlace your footage in post there would be no advantage for 60i compared to 30p and in fact progressive would be the way to go in this scenario. But is there maybe a way to convert the 60 fields to 60 frames, by effectively cutting the resolution in half and interpolating the missing field? So that in the end you would get 60p footage with about half the resolution.

Would that ultimately be a better way to get slow-motion footage if you are limited in the frame rates your camera can achieve or is progressive always the better way to go?

Cheers

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Is 60i better for slow motion than 30p?
on Feb 7, 2012 at 3:57:40 pm

[Neil Redman] "Obviously you always want the highest frame rate possible"

Well, no... you want the frame rate be appropriate to the amount you want to slow-mo, not necessarily the highest possible. You wouldn't want to shoot 1500fps with a Phantom camera if you only wanted to slow-mo by 50%, obviously.

60i shooting can be useful, if you have editing software that can extract the frames into fields.

Thus, if you are working in a 24p project, if you can extract the 60i frames into fields you can do a 40% slow mo with pretty great results (60 x 40% = 24).

[Neil Redman] "Would that ultimately be a better way to get slow-motion footage if you are limited in the frame rates your camera"

Frame interpolation software like Twixtor can work very very well at creating the missing frames in "fake" slow motion.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Neil Redman
on Feb 8, 2012 at 10:56:59 am

[Todd Terry] "Well, no... you want the frame rate be appropriate to the amount you want to slow-mo, not necessarily the highest possible. You wouldn't want to shoot 1500fps with a Phantom camera if you only wanted to slow-mo by 50%, obviously."

I meant that more coming from a standpoint where you only have a camera that does 30p or 60i and you would want to get the footage as slow as you possibly can with that setup. But yeah you're totally right obviously ;) Just how could I forget that I had my phantom flex laying around collecting dust while I'm shooting with my cheap DSLR? ^^

[Todd Terry] "60i shooting can be useful, if you have editing software that can extract the frames into fields."

Is there a way to do that in Premiere or After Effects?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Feb 9, 2012 at 3:27:15 am

I'm not totally sure whether you can do it in Premiere... maybe, maybe not... I have not had reason to try to do it in Premiere.

It can be done in After Effects, yes.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]