FORUMS: list search recent posts

Timing my timelapse

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark D'Agostino
Timing my timelapse
on Jan 9, 2012 at 5:19:46 pm

I am going to shoot a day to night cityscape using my HDX900. I am planning to shoot over a two hour period and want the final segment to last 15 seconds. I was planning to shoot 1 frame every sixteen seconds. I'll have the frame accumulation on to give each frame some blur. My question: For smoothness, am I better off instead shooting this
one frame every four seconds and playing it back at four times speed?

Also, I know this has been covered before but I'm still looking for clarification, Once it gets dark how would you handle exposure adjustment to still be able to see the night footage? I was planning to simply adjust my iris very slowly over a several second period in between frame captures.

Mark D'Agostino
http://www.synergeticproductions.com

Return to posts index

Mark D'Agostino
Re: Timing my timelapse
on Jan 10, 2012 at 4:33:58 pm

I did just find a nice post from Mark Suszko posted May 2009. Mark, you say you sometimes "composite" the day part over the night. Would you mind explaining this in a bit more detail? Thanks.

Mark D'Agostino

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 10, 2012 at 9:49:46 pm

If you have perfectly registered day and night shots, you could layer the two in different ways to allow more detail to still show thru the night shots, which often have nothing much going on in them thru the darkest part of the night. Primarily, lit windows, is I think what I was thinking of at the time, but it could also help you add textures and details.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jan 10, 2012 at 10:03:42 pm

Yeah, as Mark said...

...it's kind of "faking it", but you can use various layers from various points in the real timelapse to bring out details that otherwise might not be visible if the timelapse were done "straight."

Here's a :30 commercial spot that we recently did, and the last shot in the spot is a timelapse...

It was partially real, and partially fake. We shot the actual sunset as a real timelapse, but a lot of the elements were "faked" in order to make it look better than the real deal. The cloud reflections were added to the windows in the day part... in the fully-night part the windows were illuminated (the windows were so tinted so dark they didn't really glow well), some architectural lighting was added to the night version (the building really didn't have any), and I added the stars. It wasn't too complicated, but there are about a dozen layers of things going on there.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 11, 2012 at 12:18:59 am

Very nice, Todd! I also liked the x-ray part and the multipanel boxes.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jan 11, 2012 at 12:42:18 am

Thanks Mark... it was kinda a down-n-dirty spot, not my favorite thing we ever did (and sadly the client nixed the section we wrote with their Davinci robot surgeon which would have been way cool)... but fortunately Peter Thomas' voice will still class up almost anything.

As for the timelapse... a fairly boring building is not a very compelling subject. Hopefully Mark D's will be more interesting.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark D'Agostino
on Jan 11, 2012 at 2:46:54 pm

Thanks guys for the replies and the suggestions. Mark S.-I get it now especially thinking of it as a "selective" compositing process. Todd, while the images and effects in your spot are truly beautiful what really nails it are the words. Too often many spots focus on artistic images and the all important shallow depth of field, yet lack the ability to be the voice for the client that speaks to the consumer. You managed to walk us through the hospital's strengths and keep it very personal at the same time. Nicely done.

Mark D'Agostino

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jan 11, 2012 at 11:46:47 pm

Thanks Mark... I sometimes struggle with writing, so I appreciate that.

Let us know how your timelapse goes, and show it off if you can!

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]