FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motorised head for timelapse

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Hannon
Motorised head for timelapse
on Jan 4, 2012 at 10:32:42 am

Gday,

I have been researching a little about gear for obtaining those amazing pan/tilt timelapse effects, those that you sometimes see with astronomical/weather shots.

I realise that there are a few professional pieces of equipment out there, but recently discovered there are people obtaining good results using the motorised head of (relatively) cheap telescope mount.

I was just wondering if anyone has had experience with different models of professional gear, or these telescope heads, or any interesting pieces to note regarding timelapse photography...

I'm pretty excited to try it out...

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Motorised head for timelapse
on Jan 4, 2012 at 4:10:09 pm

I don't have any direct advice... except to suggest you try another forum that I frequent.

The "CommieCam" users group is a bunch of people (including myself) who are cinematographers using Russian motion picture cameras... mostly 35mm Konvas and Kinor cameras, and the LOMO cine lenses. There are several people in that group who do time-lapse photography (some really great stuff), and know all about various time-lapse heads and rigs.

It's a small group, good people, very friendly and helpful. I bet if you pose your question there you will get a number of good responses.

You can find them at konvas.org

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Matt Hannon
on Jan 5, 2012 at 10:13:02 am

Thanks Todd,

Thats awesome, will try it out.

Much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Jan 5, 2012 at 2:35:34 pm

I did a search in google for "tutorial diy timelapse pan" (minus quotes) and found several videos and tutorials depicting panning timelapse rigs for almost no money. I figure if you just want to play, build it yourself so you can decide of its worth the dough to buy a motorized rig. I'm working on a diy motorized slider right now - its really not hard and actually quite inexpensive to do.

- a kitchen timer with a head literally glued on.

Searching through YouTube, I found so many references, I may have to build one now! ;)

Nobody cares what gear you use except other camera operators, but the videos aren't for camera operators, but the average person. ;)

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 5, 2012 at 5:24:10 pm

This erally appeals to my "dirt-cheap-tricks" mentality.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 5, 2012 at 8:52:43 pm

I like how one guy goes direct-drive by gluing right to ther mechanism, and the other guy uses a belt drive. His belt drive is sloppy, and you can see hesitations in the results, but he's onto something with the belt drive idea, in that you can vary the "gear ratio" of the belt and idler sprocket and derive different transit speeds, whereas the glued-on deal only has a one-minute per minute speed.

These clips were a good find; thanks for posting them.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Jan 6, 2012 at 5:16:21 am

My thing is that I want it programmable. I bet I could get an arduino or some other simple controller and a stepper motor working. Now I really need to finish my slider so I can start on that!

See posting a question can inspire! ;)

Jonathan Ziegler
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 6, 2012 at 12:47:16 pm

Then you might enjoy browsing this site:

http://www.servocity.com/

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Jan 6, 2012 at 5:00:52 pm

Mark thanks for the post - I'm kinda surprised I havent seen that one yet. Now I'll be spending more money on gear. ;)

Jonathan Ziegler
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]