FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need advise for HD Camera for Documentary shooting

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
meghna damani
Need advise for HD Camera for Documentary shooting
on Nov 30, 2011 at 4:33:15 am

I have been shooting my documentary feature on a panasonic dvx 100b. I have been advised to switch to HD. 1. what camera is most suitable for documentary shooting in HD - mid range with good sound and maneuverability in doc situations
2. I have over 40 hrs of footage on dv (24p), will it be a problem mixing later?
Appreciate inputs

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: Need advise for HD Camera for Documentary shooting
on Dec 2, 2011 at 1:11:42 am

Honestly, I would strongly consider finishing the doc in Standard Def. I don't know if you're shooting in 16:9 or 4:4 (for all intents and purposes NTSC/PAL standard). If your existing footage is 4:3 you'll need to add shadowboxes after it is up-resolved to HD (I assume you'd want your finished product to be delivered in HD if you switch to HD). Depending on how tightly you frame, a conversion to 16:9 may be impossible.

Secondly, there is the general quality of your camera to consider. Unless you buy a camera near the same family as what you have, you should expect to do some color correction on footage from one camera to the other for a proper match.

Thirdly, you may or may not have to upgrade your computer to accommodate the needed horsepower to process an HD post-production pipeline.

As for camera recommendations, ENG style cameras are not my area of expertise, I've used the Panasonic HVX-200 (can be found cheaply used) and HPX-500 with no complaints as to their performance.

Angelo Lorenzo
http://filmsfor.us - Helping you sell your film online

Return to posts index

meghna damani
Re: Need advise for HD Camera for Documentary shooting
on Dec 4, 2011 at 11:54:34 pm

Thank you Angelo,
Appreciate you taking time out to respond. I've shot mostly in 16:9 and very inclined to stick with the DV, my only concerns are distribution as most networks will not touch DV, but then I could always upgrade in post, correct?
Thanks!
Meghna

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]