FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need advise on choosing a new mac based Home studio rig

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Levi
Need advise on choosing a new mac based Home studio rig
on Nov 28, 2011 at 8:09:11 am

Hi, a friend just lost her whole studio a few months ago in a fire, she was just starting to get into cinematography she lost a , 7d with 20-70, Sony ex1, iMac 27 i7 12 GB ram, a green screen set up with 4 softboxes, several hard drives simply died last week from smoke inside them according to tecnition.

As lucky as she was with her cousin giving her the ex1 and iMac the whole even turned into a nightmare, she tod me she spent 3 weeks falllowing up on this event with insurance agents, estimates, detox cleaners, was allot of work,

So I am asking in her behalf what the best video set up is at the moment for home cinematography studio Would be, she certainly had a decent rig, so I suggested the same rig she had but with a 5dmkii to record hd with the full frame sensor it has, a ziess lens cp2, and a Aja device to capture via hdmi etc, some tripods with a slider dolly, but when i mentioned a Mac pro tower we realized apple may of just dropped them and are now lost in thus iMac vs Mac pro vs thunderbolt vs sata.

Can anyone here advise on what best route should be?
She likes to shoot music videos, short films and short scenes.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Need advise on choosing a new mac based Home studio rig
on Nov 28, 2011 at 7:43:44 pm

You want the mac pro tower, go get one. Rumors are just rumors, for now. And anyway, if this is a business thing for her, because of the rapid pace of change and upgrades, she should expect to turn over the computer gear in I'd say three years anyhow. Tell to GBTW and not overthink it.

Return to posts index

Jay Levi
on Nov 29, 2011 at 9:49:07 pm

I am sorry i can not understand what you meant by " Tell to GBTW and not overthink it." ??

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 30, 2011 at 3:00:50 pm

GBTW = get back to work. Meaning, don't agonize so much over making an optimal choice, when you could be working right now. Even the optimal choice will eventually become obsolete, probably within 3 years. So don't worry so much about it, just replace the gear with identical gear, if it worked for your friend.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]