FORUMS: list search recent posts

Protecting your actor's modesty

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dylan Hargreaves
Protecting your actor's modesty
on Nov 27, 2011 at 12:26:52 pm

Hi folks,

Bit of an odd one this. We are shooting a commercial soon that requires some tasteful nudity. During the shoot however, we would like to protect our actress' modesty by giving her something to cover up, well, her nips and bits.

Ideally this will be something that fits neatly over the 'offending' areas, whilst maintaining the sense that she is completely naked, so a bikini is out.

I just have no idea where I might get something like that. Or even what it would be called. Are these things made commercially or are they custom made for the model out of latex?

Any help gratefully received!

D

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Protecting your actor's modesty
on Nov 28, 2011 at 2:35:28 pm

Gaffer tape? :-)

Look for "petals" or "pasties" for the upper bits, maybe "shields" for the lower, I dunno. I think I would just give the actress a stipend for "costume expendables" and let her do her own shopping, but a competent makeup/wardrobe person will also know where to shop for this stuff. I'm sure.

Return to posts index

Dylan Hargreaves
on Nov 28, 2011 at 2:43:11 pm

Thanks Mark - I did indeed find some 'pasties' which should work pretty well - nothing yet for 'downtown'.

Figured a make-up artist might know, but put the shout out here to help get some ideas on project costs first.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Nov 28, 2011 at 4:22:11 pm

You might also avoid silly euphemisms.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 28, 2011 at 4:24:37 pm

Well, the filters here can get pretty strict over the strangest words.

Return to posts index

Dylan Hargreaves
on Nov 28, 2011 at 4:37:03 pm

Dude, I can be as crude as the next man, but my experience of the CoW is that that sort of thing is neither allowed nor welcome. Still, if it makes you feel better: boobs.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 28, 2011 at 7:16:01 pm

Merkin.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Nov 28, 2011 at 7:24:26 pm

I just read this so Mark beat me to it... and was about to say that I'm almost embarrassed that I know what you're looking for... a "merkin."

Merkins were, historically, pubic wigs complete with hair that go all the way back to Shakespearean times. These days they are used in the film and theatrical world basically to "cover up the goods".... and merkins are available with and without hair.

Give it a Google sometime.

In an episode of 30 Rock the character Jeanna said she was growing out her hair to donate to "Merkins of Hope"... a pretty inside joke since the average Joe doesn't know what the word merkin means.

That's typically what's used on a film set, often for both women and men. Unless the guys opt for the lower-tech option, the cut-off bottom of a tube sock. :)

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 28, 2011 at 7:41:39 pm

It's also the first name of the fictional President in "Doctor Strangelove". Merkin Muffley.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Nov 28, 2011 at 7:26:39 pm

If you want to protect her modesty, then when you're on set avoid saying "here, use this merkin to cover your nips and bits."

Return to posts index

Dylan Hargreaves
on Nov 28, 2011 at 8:18:07 pm

I'll be sure to do that, rich, thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]