FORUMS: list search recent posts

Time Lapse for 4 month - which camera to use ?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shachar Langlev
Time Lapse for 4 month - which camera to use ?
on Nov 24, 2011 at 6:05:34 pm

Hi all. I'm documenting a renovation in a big space and need to rig four cameras that will shoot a frame every hour for the duration of the renovation - 4 months.
I want to create time laps motion for 4 month.
Any ideas which camera (below $300) I can use to get a full HD images. It can be stills or video, but I need it to have interval recording and the ability to hook it to electricity.
I'll be grateful for any info, thanks.

Panasonic AF100:Canon 7D: contemplating Scarlet ;-)
FCP 7 editor n teacher
Freelancer DP
Director - my last film is at
http://www.wix.com/folkswagon/film

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: Time Lapse for 4 month - which camera to use ?
on Nov 25, 2011 at 1:40:51 am

I don't think the GoPro has invervals down to 1 frame an hour, but it does have interval recording with stills. You'd probably have to drill through the water proof housing to attach constant power but it's probably your best and near only choice in your price range.

Angelo Lorenzo
http://filmsfor.us - Helping you sell your film online

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Nov 25, 2011 at 9:39:44 pm

I used a Pentax K100D to take a photos every 10min for over 1 year. I used a Harbortroncis intervalometer to only take photos during daylight hours. Not surprisingly the mirror was the weak link. I went through 3 cameras over 4 years.

John

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 26, 2011 at 4:42:32 am

I would do this with high quality webcams, sending the shots back to a server, so you can see and save all the frames remotely, plus have remote control over the process and all the intervalometer and other settings like exposure. The last time we did this, we used AXIS brand webcams and liked the results. I'm surer there are other brands. There's a line of them that hunters use to reconnoiter game trails, for example, self-contained. Whatever you get, they will need power and internet access, but it need not be high speed, the frames they save and send forward to you can be fed at slow speeds, even modem speeds, without problems. They may also need some security, evaluate this question.

Return to posts index

Shachar Langlev
on Jan 22, 2012 at 4:06:19 pm

Thanks for the suggestions and sorry it took me a while to answer.
This is my final solution:
I'm using 5 GoPro Hero2 cameras that I installed on 5 different locations. The slowest intervals the camera can go to when shooting stills is 1 frame every 1 minute. The camera is connected to electricity via the usb cable. 32 GB card is enough to hold one week of photos (5MP quality).
I had a few exposure problems with the auto exposure of the Go Pro. The solution to all in this camera is pointing the focus to the middle (one of only 2 focus options) and always shoot in the widest angle.
My project will end up being 1080P. The 5MP images are still more than twice the pixels, so I have a lot of freedom to crop the wide frames.
Final results will come around June 2012. Thanks you all for your help.

Panasonic AF100:Canon 7D: contemplating Scarlet ;-)
FCP 7 editor n teacher
Freelancer DP
Director - my last film is at
http://www.wix.com/folkswagon/film

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]