FORUMS: list search recent posts

low light camera

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Knox
low light camera
on Oct 25, 2011 at 4:40:18 am

GREETINGS COMMUNITY,

I currently have a DVX100A that constantly acts up even after being serviced. I bought it about 6 years ago when they first came out.
I'm looking for a replacement camera, under $1000 that posses comparable resolution, (preferably HD), but most importantly, performs equally as well (or close to it) in low light conditions. Any suggestions?

I'd imagine technological advancement have made this possible. Thanks in advance.

2 x 2.66 GHZ Dual Core Intel 5GB 667 Ram
OSX 10.5

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
Re: low light camera
on Oct 25, 2011 at 5:00:28 pm

The DVXs were in my view the best of the prosumer SD cameras. They allow considerable manual control and when set correctly take fabulous pictures. I think that there are no HD cameras for under a grand that come close to the quality of those images.

The camera is still made, in form DVX100B. About $2,000. If your needs are met with terrific SD video, you might consider buying one. Otherwise you'll need to spend at least that much for a "good" HD camera but it will not have good performance in low light. One with good performance in low light will cost you quite a bit more.

Others here may have other ideas.

Rick Wise
Cinematographer
San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

Nelson Goforth
on Oct 26, 2011 at 5:12:05 pm

I'm with Rick. The 'under $1000' mark is going to be hard to hit. Of course the question is: how low a light level is "low"?

The Canon 1D and the Sony FS-100 (we just added one of these) will take good (well, reasonable good, and with reasonable noise) pictures in light that my eyes have trouble with, but they go for a lot more than a grand.

Nelson Goforth

Red Camera Rental & Indy Features, Denver Colorado.
rockymountain4k.com * 303.506.2456

Return to posts index

Nelson Goforth
on Oct 28, 2011 at 4:27:19 pm

Just following up. This won't help you much as these cameras are out of your price range, but... I just like to follow up on stuff.

The Canon 1D Mark IV (came out about a year-and-a-half ago) can do amazing stuff in very low light. Top ISO is 102,400. That is not a typo. It can do really good video at ISO6400; for an example look at Vincent Laforet's "Nocturne" -

I had the opportunity to gaff a job with Mr Laforet some months ago. He was happy with the 6400 footage, but said that he could see a little noise in the full resolution footage. He said that at 3200, though, it was noiseless.

Our new FS-100 seems to give much the same level of picture. I haven't shot any low-light stuff with it yet, but my partner, Rich Lerner, said he was shooting at ISO8000 (approximately - no ISO settings on this camera, only 'gain') and got solid, velvety blacks.

Nelson Goforth

Red Camera Rental & Indy Features, Denver Colorado.
rockymountain4k.com * 303.506.2456

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]