FORUMS: list search recent posts

I'm getting into video recording and I'd like some professional opinions

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mike jones
I'm getting into video recording and I'd like some professional opinions
on Oct 22, 2011 at 3:36:40 pm

Hello,

I've been a photographer hobbiest and recently getting into the idea of commercial filming. I have a small company with a couple clients that I think might benefit from some filming to help promote their business.

I recently filmed a piece for a client of mine for free and really enjoyed filming see:

However I am interested in producing a higher quality image and saw this piece:

It has really nice colour and I'd like to be able to reproduce this kind of quality.

I figured I should go down the route of hiring a video camera seeing as it's a new venture.

Upon researching, I found many good sites that give weekly rentals for around £300 (depending on camera model). Would this kind of camcorder be adequate? http://www.hireacamera.com/camcorders/detail.asp?model=656 Canon XF105

I'd love to know your opinions as I'm so new to this subject and currently using some sony HD camera that is OK for now, but I want to know more about this.

Kind regards.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
Re: I'm getting into video recording and I'd like some professional opinions
on Oct 27, 2011 at 7:02:34 pm

Both of those vids look very similar. You can also shoot at different times of day for different lighting effects. Most people prefer very early in the morning. The light is awesome but also all the dust has settled while folks were sleeping.

Regarding which camera to choose is complicated and detailed. I would think the Canon you pointed to will be a fine camera for the purpose of making that style of video.

Seems like you over used the pan, by the way. In addition to panning, you can also tilt, rack focus, dolly. You can also use Wide Shots, Medium Shots, and Close Up shots. Purely doing the math, you can put your tripod on the ground and get 9 shots, from right there.

Regarding composition, I like to have a clear subject for every shot, Wide Shots are tough for that because there's so much to look at. I also like to have a foreground element and a background element.

Compound camera moves are really fun. For example, start off with a rose in the foreground, slightly out of focus while the lodge in the background is sharp. Pan toward the rose as you rack focus to it. You've really lead the viewers eye to notice a specific detail.

Will that camera/tripod make those moves? Yes.
Will that camera reproduce the color? Yes.
Do you have the eye for it?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]