FORUMS: list search recent posts

Filming in AVCHD

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Callum Maddox
Filming in AVCHD
on Oct 16, 2011 at 7:08:37 am

Hi Everyone

I am having trouble with my new camera it is a JVC GZ-HD30 and records in AVCHD. My problem is when i play it back on my computer i get annoying lines when there is fast movement. I believe to be called interlaced. How do i get rid of these lines? I am using a macbook 13inch early 2008 running osx lion 10.7.2 and previewing in VLC player.
Please help

Regards Callum

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
Re: Filming in AVCHD
on Oct 16, 2011 at 6:18:40 pm

I'm pretty sure the issue you seeing is due o a few things - 1) you have an older, slower machine (AVCHD is heavily compressed so you need a lot of processor to view in real time), 2) AVCHD codec may be causing artifacts.

I suggest checking the final cut, premiere or Vegas (or whatever editor you are using) forums for more advice on converting your footage for editing. I convert AVCHD the same as dslr footage - to apple prores for editing. Use compressor if you are using final cut (I still haven't converted to X so I can't speak to it).

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Angelo Mike
Re: Filming in AVCHD
on Oct 19, 2011 at 4:49:21 pm

Like Jonathan said, AVCHD is very processor intensive to play back. I convert all my AVCHD using Cineform Neoscene, which turns it into AVI and brings up the chroma sampling to 4:2:2 without losing much (if any) information. The avi files are much larger, but they're much easier to play back and edit. But I use this to edit on Sony Vegas, so if you don't then ProRes may be what you need.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]