FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pretty cool phone app

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Terry
Pretty cool phone app
on Sep 22, 2011 at 8:46:50 pm

Hey kids...

I've just installed and started using a neat little phone application that I thought I'd share.

It's called LightTrac, and I think it's about three bucks.

With it, you can see a satellite photographic map (or a roadmap, your choice), and a movable line will show you the angle of the sun at any given time of the day and on any date at any location. You just move a little slider and a graphic line clockwipes around the map to show you where the sun is coming from at that point. You can set it for any day/date/time/location. Super easy and cheap.

The version I have is for Android, but there's an iPhone version too, of course. Additionally, the iPad version (I'm told, haven't seen it) also includes the ANGLE of the sun at any given time, as well as direction.

It's pretty darn neat, check it out.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Pretty cool phone app
on Sep 22, 2011 at 10:08:01 pm

So, gone are the days when Manly Men caried around a ring bound Ephemeris and Farmer's Almamac with the sun time tables in it, just to figure out where the sun would be at a certain time on a certan day. Now any schmuck can just know in two seconds, darn. Guess the Mayans used to biatch about the heavy stone wheel calendars they dragged (or rolled, I guess) to THEIR photo shoots.
:-)

Return to posts index

Nelson Goforth
Re: Pretty cool phone app
on Sep 23, 2011 at 4:21:53 am

For the iPhone there's a great application called Sun Seeker. It does much of what you describe, plus has an "augmented reality" feature that show the path of the sun through the sky, for today or any date. When will the sun clear that tall building next Thursday? Just look up and see.

The developer is working on an Android version of Sun Seeker.

Red Camera Rental & Indy Features, Denver Colorado.
rockymountain4k.com * 303.506.2456

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]