FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to send big HIDEF files?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Gold
How to send big HIDEF files?
on Sep 6, 2011 at 6:45:18 pm

I am working on a project where in a few weeks, simultaneous events will be happening in major cities across the USA and Europe on a given day and we will be organizing HIDEF professionals to be shooting approximately 3- 5 hours of footage on various acquisition formats.

That material needs to be sent to a central edit room in NYC and I am trying to figure out the best way to get the footage from the operators to the edit room in NY in a manner that is most efficient time wise and dollar wise.

Five hours of HIDEF footage seems unmanageable to send to an FTP site unless you have a week to upload it and same to download and sites like YouSendIt also have upward limits of 10GB

Does anyone know of any other manner in which this footage can be sent from a multitude of locations in a reasonably rapid manner other than over-nighting either the cards they were shot on or dumping to small field drives and sending those?

Thanks!
Dan

Daniel Gold

Daniel Gold

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: How to send big HIDEF files?
on Sep 7, 2011 at 1:29:24 pm

I think I would just ask everybody to put it on BluRay and overnight it to you. This also gives you stand-alone archives of the footage whether you use it on your drives or not. For those without BluRay, specify they use mpeg streamclip to compress their files to ONE standard you have picked, say, h.264 in a 720 frame, and they can burn that footage to DVD, a couple of gigs at a time.

Make the shooters conform to one standard FOR you. Or you will spend weeks doing that yourself.

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Sep 8, 2011 at 4:48:47 am

I would go from the other way.. as a cameraman.. if you are already saying it will be in various formats,and then asking crews to change files,burn this,down load that software.. etc.. way more chance of screw ups..

Get it all fedex ed to you.. know whats coming in.. and get your post house all ready to deal with it.. safest and probably quickest way..

Personally I think its not the camera crews responsibility to burn DVD,s.. make archive.. change files etc.. (sure down load to a HDD or two, from the original format).. or else make it a shoot with this camera or you dont get the job situation..

My 2 cents :)

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Sep 8, 2011 at 2:32:17 pm

[Robin Probyn] "Personally I think its not the camera crews responsibility to burn DVD,s.. make archive.. change files etc.."

Sure it is... if that's what you hire them to do and is specified in a give job. I sure wouldn't ask them to do it for free or off the clock, though.

The original post asked for suggestions for a method "other than over-nighting" which leads me to believe that way is not optimal, for some reason. However, I would think good ol' FedEx would still be by far the easiest, cheapest, and probably fastest way to shuttle such massive amounts of data. Is there a reason you're asking for something other than overnighting? Or why that won't work?

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Sep 8, 2011 at 10:37:34 pm

Hi Todd

You,d be surprised how many producers dont see this side of the job as paid work :)

My thoughts were more that if people dont know how to do it,have to down load software,buy DVD burners etc.. there has to be a fair possibility of screw ups.. you could put money on it.. so being counter to the need for getting the footage as quick as possible.. so in this case far better to deal with it yourself..

I once had to fly to Germany with one tape,from Tokyo.. straight from the shoot to the airport.. that would be another way to do it.. but a bit expensive :)

Return to posts index

Mark D'Agostino
on Sep 8, 2011 at 4:36:07 pm

Under these same conditions dumping to small cheap field drives has work flawlessly for us for several years. Why is that not an acceptable method in this case.

Mark D'Agostino
http://www.synergeticproductions.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
on Sep 14, 2011 at 3:16:58 am

Perhaps you could get H.264 proxy over the web (YouSendIt, Dropbox shared folders, etc.) and use a more economical method to ship the hig-res files?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]