FORUMS: list search recent posts

Todd Terry's DIY silk and bungee thing using home depot parts

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Herd
Todd Terry's DIY silk and bungee thing using home depot parts
on Aug 25, 2011 at 2:44:53 pm

I'm remember reading it when you posted it, but now I cannot find it.
Can you repost?
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Todd Terry's DIY silk and bungee thing using home depot parts
on Aug 25, 2011 at 3:06:47 pm

Luckily the images were still on the COW server, or I'd be totally lost finding it.

Basically it's just building a regular 4x4 (or whatever size you want) Hollywood frame, but using 1/2" electrical conduit and four conduit elbows. You permanently attach the elbows to two sides, and leave them loose on the others. And you take a big 5/8" lag bolt and weld it in the middle of one of the pieces, and cut the threads off the end (I just use a Sawzall with a metal-cutting blade, then grind the cut edges smooth), which becomes your post. Then run quarter-inch elastic shock cord through the whole thing so it will all pop up together (like a pop-up tent), and easily collapse when you are ready to strike.

We've made a several of these, both 4x4s and 6x6s (on the bigger ones I put posts on two opposite sides). I first started building these just because I couldn't find something similar... most frames were either rigid and didn't collapse as all, or those that did collapse came apart in several different loose pieces and weren't all strung together. After the fact, we realized the secondary advantage to just making them here is that they are so darn cheap. They're not the prettiest things in the world... but you can either spend about a hundred dollars on a "real" frame, or about ten bucks apiece to make a bunch of these.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
Re: Todd Terry's DIY silk and bungee thing using home depot parts
on Aug 25, 2011 at 3:43:49 pm

THANK YOU!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]