FORUMS: list search recent posts

Survey of the new breed of small size/ big sensor HD camcorders; what do YOU like?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Survey of the new breed of small size/ big sensor HD camcorders; what do YOU like?
on Aug 23, 2011 at 9:51:00 pm

Kind of casually shopping around at cameras using AVC-Intra or AVCHD and SD cards ( but specifically not P2), I looked at the Sony NX5U and the Panasonic AF100. Both seem very nice, but I'm annoyed by the rear-mounted viewfinder cups.

I'm looking for stuff in that kind of range, in a shoulder-riding ENG shooter kind of format, with an eyepiece that's on the side, where my right eyeball is, not the back of the camera. An LCD panel is not quite what I want as a substitute there.

What else should I look at that matches some of these criteria, and if you have one, how do you like it?

My application is 75% ENG and 25% some documentary and PSA productions.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Survey of the new breed of small size/ big sensor HD camcorders; what do YOU like?
on Aug 24, 2011 at 3:58:12 pm

I'm trying to narrow the field down. Don't want P2 or SxS, too expensive for operations. I really want the viewfinder on the front/side, next to my eye, as God intended it should be. I want it on my shoulder, with an aftermarket brace if need be. The codec preferably is one that FCP7 can edit natively, but with clipwrap, I can get around that.

What's left after that filter, that I should be looking at more closely?

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
Re: Survey of the new breed of small size/ big sensor HD camcorders; what do YOU like?
on Aug 24, 2011 at 5:03:18 pm

Which PC-based NLE do you use, Mark? Vegas? Adobe? (I'm a big Vegas fan.)

Rick Wise
director of photography
San Francisco Bay Area
part-time instructor lighting/camera
Academy of Art University/Film and Video (grad school)
http://www.RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 24, 2011 at 7:27:07 pm

FCP-7, Mac octocore.

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
on Aug 24, 2011 at 7:38:28 pm

My sloppy reading! I read Windows 7, when your clearly wrote FCP7.... Apologies.

Rick Wise
director of photography
San Francisco Bay Area
part-time instructor lighting/camera
Academy of Art University/Film and Video (grad school)
http://www.RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 24, 2011 at 10:03:22 pm

So far I'm looking at the
JVC GYHM-700
Canon xf300
Sony ex-1
sony ex3
Panasonic F100

I'd be intersted in owner/user reactions if you haev used one of these 5 cameras, or something similar.

So far the JVC 700 and the Sony EX3 are near the top of the list, with their form factor, but I'm still narrowing it down, and like I said, I'm going to eliminate any cameras that only use P2 or SxS cards.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Aug 24, 2011 at 11:19:39 pm

Curious and slightly confused... your title asks about the "new breed of small size/ big sensor HD camcorders"...

Then your list in your last post contains the EX1 and EX3... both great cameras, but NOT "big sensor" cameras... they are 1/2" cameras. Again, great cameras (and bigger than 1/3", but not by a lot), but with sensors a fraction of the size of 35mm-size sensor cameras. It's a lot closer to the size of a 16mm frame. A lot of people bought those thinking they were going to have truly controllable 35mm-like depths of field, to be disappointed they don't. People were generally happy with everything ELSE about them, but not that.

Have you considered the Sony F3? A little more expensive than most of your list... but you can use sweet real cine PL mount lenses on it... and your glass is one of the most important parts (if not the most important part) of your setup.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 25, 2011 at 1:54:41 am

We're very poor, so we're only going to ever put one lens on the cam unless it already comes with one, and that will be a general-purpose zoom good for ENG work.

Point taken about he smaller sensor, it's part of all the trade-offs one has to make. The ones in my list were more or less in line with the form factor requirements. I'm open to more suggestions.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Aug 25, 2011 at 3:20:05 pm

ENG? Geez, Mark, is there anything you DON'T do there??? Gotta love a renaissance man.

Well, for ENG work I wouldn't worry about the big sensor at all... in fact, the smaller sensor would probably actually be more desirable. You don't want a bunch of news shooters wrestling with a half-inch-deep depth of field when trying to shoot on-the-go news footage. Most news photographers I know (and I used to be a news guy in a previous life) have never shot a frame of real film in their lives and are used to a 2/3" camera max. They'd adapt to a small-sensor camera just fine... but a big-sensor camera? Not so much.

When one of the TV stations in our market decided to re-outfit everything last year during a big HD-switchover they went with Sony EX3s. I remember going there on a promo shoot just a bit before their implementation, and there were unopened boxes and boxes of a couple dozen EX3s sitting in the storage area outside their roll-up stage door. I think that's what all their news, promo, and production shooters use now... and they are even what they are using as studio cameras, believe it or not (although they are hard to recognize there, the little EX3 bodies inside big cradles on the robot pedestals with bigass lenses on the front).

You might ask those folks how they like them so far, if you want a first-hand real-life review. I won't broadcast contact info here, but shoot me an off-site email if you'd like and I'll put you in touch with the right people there.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Nelson Goforth
on Sep 6, 2011 at 2:16:06 pm

We've recently added the Sony FS-100 to our kit, replacing our HDSLRs (1D and 7D) - better form factor, large sensor, less moiré issues, and excellent low-light capability (rivaling the 1D MkiV). It uses it's own mount, but we've added a Nikon adapter to use the lenses from our Red package. We may add a PL mount adapter as well, so that the camera could be used as a 'B' or 'C' camera with our Red One (and upcoming Epic).

The FS-100 does have the rear-mounted viewfinder you mention, but at the price you could add a 3rd party monitor or eyepiece (Zacuto EVF) for hand-held work.

Nelson Goforth

Red Camera & Production Services, Denver Colorado.
http://www.rockymountain4k.com * 303.506.2456

Return to posts index

Daniel Stone
on Sep 15, 2011 at 6:03:02 am

Thought I'd chime in quickly and second the EX3. Though it's designed to sit more on the front of your shoulder than actually on your shoulder, it still has the side-mounted viewfinder that flips up.

Here's why I like it:

- sxs cards hold much more than p2
- I've heard of adaptors that allow you to use cheaper SD cards in place of the sxs cards
- HD SDI for going to an external recorder
- externally-mounted feature buttons
- lots of format options from 24p to interlaced 60i (if you're going straight to broadcast)
- fantastic image quality
- 1/2" sensor larger than 1/3" but not so big that you're wrestling with focus constantly
- loads of features for cinematic shooting with a form factor condusive to ENG work.

Hope this helps!

-

Return to posts index

Daniel Stone
on Sep 15, 2011 at 6:08:28 am

One more thing - the XDCam footage edits beautifully and seamlessly in FCP.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]