FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fighting chromatic aberration in post

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Nicastro
Fighting chromatic aberration in post
on Aug 19, 2011 at 4:24:38 pm

Is there a way to correct chromatic aberration while in post? I know still images can be fixed in Photoshop. But what options do we as video editors have to fix it? Also, is chromatic aberration mainly cause because of a cheap lens or is it because of the sensor. I know how and why it happens, but I would really like to do what I can to stop it from happening again while I'm shooting.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Fighting chromatic aberration in post
on Aug 19, 2011 at 5:06:11 pm

Chromatic aberrations (usually seen as red or green fringes around edges) are usually caused by the lens. They could be caused by a faulty sensor, but I don't think that's common.

Most chromatic aberrations you'll see will be fairly non-existent at the center of a frame, and will get increasingly worse as you move toward the frame edges. If this is what you are seeing (which is most likely), then it is definitely caused by the lens.

If what you see looks like uniform fringing throughout the frame... just as bad in the center as the edges... then you can likely attribute that to the sensor.

I don't know any way to fix this in post for moving images. It would likely be pretty tough.

As for preventing it from happening? Yes, the culprit is probably a bad lens, or one with with bad coatings, or cheap mismatched glass. Zoom lenses are far more prone to the problem, since they have many more elements. The best fix for this is the smartass answer "Use a better lens," but unfortunately that's the truth. And/or use primes whenever you can, rather than zooms.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Eric Nicastro
Re: Fighting chromatic aberration in post
on Aug 19, 2011 at 5:23:04 pm

I had a feeling it had a lot to do with the lens itself. But what I just came across is this tutorial from Carl Larsen: http://library.creativecow.net/articles/larsen_carl/removing_chromatic_aber...

I know it might be the end all fix, but for some of the severe shots, it'll help me out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]