FORUMS: list search recent posts

Organizing a Production Van/C-Stands

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Munson
Organizing a Production Van/C-Stands
on Aug 10, 2011 at 8:35:55 pm

I wanted to get some thoughts on prod van organization.

My biggest problem is our c-stands. They're currently loosely strapped to the inside of the van. I need some kind of hook or hanger that I can lay them on. I've seen door hangers, but we use a Chevy Cargo Van, so the door is too short to fit c-stands.

Does anyone have a rack or hook system they recommend?

Also are there any other bins or storage solutions you would recommend for storing things like stingers, shot bags and the occasional light or two?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Organizing a Production Van/C-Stands
on Aug 10, 2011 at 9:54:04 pm

Those stackable Rubbermaid or similar plastic tubs with clear sides and integral, hinged 2-piece lids seem to be kind of a standard around here. Makes sense to be able to kind of see what's inside without needing a label on every side. They are very handy, and while they are kind of small for some things, that also keeps you from lifting stuff in one trip that's really too heavy for your back... You can also color-code them by function: audio, electrical, etc. I tend to put short stingers on winder card type holders, and heavier/longer cables in tubs. I really like stingers that have the translucent plug ends with an integral neon light, you know instantly if a cord or outlet is powered that way, no pocket tester needed.

As to your c-stands issue, Harbor Freight and Ace sell tons of ladder and bike hooks and similar organizing hardware. If it were my van I'd probably use u-shaped hooks and bungies, like a giant horizontal pegboard, or perhaps make a sort of carpeted trough from plywood, anchored to the van floor, that I could drop the stands into, with the end by the doors open for fast access when parked and doors open.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]