FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting a scene mixing real-time & timelapse. Suggestions welcome!

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dylan Hargreaves
Shooting a scene mixing real-time & timelapse. Suggestions welcome!
on Aug 8, 2011 at 12:30:24 pm

Hi all,

Planning a shot which will see us put a presenter addressing the camera in real time, while commuters rush past in timelapse and thought I'd open it up to you guys for thoughts on how you might go about achieving it.

The timelapse bit would be shot on a slow shutter so all the people rushing by would look blurred and I'd like to insert the presenter into the middle of the scene, so it would be likely that people are passing between him and the camera.

At the moment, the DP and I are discussing green screening the presenter and inserting him into the scene in post, taking care to match the lighting/shadow set up, although I'm still not entirely sure how we would deal with the commuters crossing in front of him, short of rotoscoping them all which would be tricky in extremis if they were blurred.

Any and all suggestions on how you guys'd achieve this would be greatly appreciated!

D

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Shooting a scene mixing real-time & timelapse. Suggestions welcome!
on Aug 8, 2011 at 2:01:02 pm

Roto with a locked-off shot would be simplest. If you roto a few of the people crossing closest to camera, they can cross in front of him, but this is something to use sparingly, IMO.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Aug 8, 2011 at 2:45:52 pm

Do most as you have imagined, with greenscreening your talent into the scene (and yes, precisely match the lighting as much as possible).

When you shoot the background plate though, do not have any "foreground" people crossing the plane. As you suggested, their extreme blur will give you an almost impossible rotoscoping job.

Rather, shoot your foreground crossers on greenscreen as well, with normal shutter speed, or maybe even a higher shutter speed to give you no blur for easier compositing.

Add your principal talent to the sped-up scene, then speed up your foreground cross-pedestrians and lay them on top of everything... and add a pretty extreme horizontal motion blur to them to match the real motion blur of the background action.

That's just one way to do it... but should be pretty easy and work well.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Rick Amundson
on Aug 8, 2011 at 2:51:18 pm

Todds's suggestion is right on. This is the most effective way to get the elements you need in post then let the computer do the work.

Best of luck!

Rick Amundson
Producer/Director/DP
Screenscape Studios
Bravo Romeo Entertainment
http://www.screenscapestudios.com
http://www.bravoromeo.com
http://www.indeliblemovie.com

Return to posts index

Dylan Hargreaves
on Aug 10, 2011 at 8:35:53 am

It's all been going crazy over here in the UK these past few days - our cities are burning! Apologies for not checking back sooner.

Thanks all for your suggestions. I think setting the scene up with no foreground elements is definitely the way forward. Now just need to find a way to stop members of the public wandering into shot. We could be there a while...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]