FORUMS: list search recent posts

What are typical shutter speeds to use when filming a scene with a computer screen?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
What are typical shutter speeds to use when filming a scene with a computer screen?
on Aug 8, 2011 at 8:54:00 am

Whenever I shoot a scene with a computer screen, I always have to play around with shutter speed to find the right one so I dont get a scrolling bar. That said, there are probably common shutter speeds which get rid of that, speeds I could try first without having to resort to trial and error. What might those be?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: What are typical shutter speeds to use when filming a scene with a computer screen?
on Aug 8, 2011 at 2:37:51 pm

Yes, ideally you'd need a camera that has a "clearscan" mode... which is really nothing magical, rather it's just a way of very precisely controlling the exact shutter speed.

It may differ a little bit depending on where you are (and certainly will differ with where you are in the world), but here in North America most of our AC electricity runs at 60.1 Hz... therefore, you need a shutter speed of 1/60.1. That's what we typically use when shooting screens.

If your camera doesn't have a clearscan mode, you'll just have to play around with shutter speeds until you find one that works. I'd first try slightly lower speeds, and if you can't get a workable one then go a little faster.

In a real pinch, if you can't get computer screen to shoot clearly, you can leave the camera as it is and adjust the refresh rate of the monitor itself (control panel > display > settings > advanced > montior). You might be able to find a setting that looks better on camera.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
Re: What are typical shutter speeds to use when filming a scene with a computer screen?
on Aug 9, 2011 at 11:53:39 pm

Can you find one that has an LCD monitor?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]