FORUMS: list search recent posts

Few quick tips before I go to shoot..

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Freddie Hill
Few quick tips before I go to shoot..
on Aug 2, 2011 at 11:11:21 am

Hello.
A friend has asked me to shoot some footage for his project that I have been helping him on.

I know a fair bit about video post production and do it regularly, but i've never been told to go out and capture media so it'll be my first time doing anything like this.

Before i jump into something that's probably going to turn out an absolute disaster, what things do the experienced cinematogrophers get correct or have to get correct at the time of recording that can't be changed later down the line?
I know you probably could write a novel on this topic, but just on a general note.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: Few quick tips before I go to shoot..
on Aug 2, 2011 at 2:10:24 pm

If you remember just A FEW things, you'll be off to a good start. Audio, Focus, Exposure, White Balance

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Few quick tips before I go to shoot..
on Aug 2, 2011 at 2:22:26 pm

Don't just take the audio display for granted: LISTEN to the audio and test a playback in the field, early. Shoot some room tone with nobody talking, just the background ambience. Any buzz or hum? Distortion? Wind or machine noise? Audio is the thing most often screwed up and audiences are unforgiving of bad audio.

Be sure of the white balance.

Roll more footage than you expect to need, roll for at least 6 seconds before and after any move, so your edits have enough "handles" in post.

Really LOOK at the frames you compose. Do you have vertical objects poking out of people's heads? Is the camera shot level? Is the talent backlit, and why? What's going on in the background? Did you zoom in and check focus before zooming out again? What's the overall composition of the frame look like? Did you use the rule of thirds in composing the shot? Are you shooting enough cut-aways, b-roll, and alternate angles of the action?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]