FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is it bad to use manfrotto 535 legs with a Bogen 3066 head?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
Is it bad to use manfrotto 535 legs with a Bogen 3066 head?
on Aug 1, 2011 at 5:50:00 am

I need to use a big head because I am attaching a teleprompter to the tripod. I want to use a Bogen 3066 head on my Manfrotto 535 legs. It fits fine. The 75mm ball head goes in perfectly. It just looks unwieldily cause the head is so large. Is this setup cool or am i somehow asking for trouble?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Is it bad to use manfrotto 535 legs with a Bogen 3066 head?
on Aug 1, 2011 at 2:51:26 pm

Do you keep two sets of dishes?:-)

Ugly doesn't mater if it functions. I would wonder if the legs, spreaders and their adjustable locks can take the load. If yes, then I don't see a problem. We mix and match heads and sticks here from time to time, to get the best features of both. Then again, we're not doing it as an overload situation.

be very caerful about the pan and tilt locks and your drag settings. take extra time to balance this monster, and have somebody alwyas standing near it. Brace or block the feet. Tighten everythign that tightens. In a worst case, have a chair or something nearby you can put under the front as a brace to back up the tilt locks when you're not shooting. The most likely accident will be where the thing topples forward onto the lens, if the brakes and locks are inadequate.

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
Re: Is it bad to use manfrotto 535 legs with a Bogen 3066 head?
on Aug 2, 2011 at 3:23:55 am

I would not recommend putting a prompter on a 3066 head.

Look at the left side of the head. The tilt lock is on the tilt axis, and it's on the left side. First, mechanically, having the lock on the axis is a bad idea in its own right.

Second, if it's the tiniest bit front-heavy, it's going to loosen by itself. (Lefty loosey and all that...) With a prompter, it's way too easy - far too much mass on it.

Frankly, I loathe Bogen heads overall. They're incredibly badly laid out from a user perspective, with that tilt-lock issue being just one of several reasons.

I'm not too crazy about their legs either.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]