FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lens options for FS100 on a Steadicam

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shawn Sutherland
Lens options for FS100 on a Steadicam
on Jul 31, 2011 at 12:54:26 pm

Hi guys.

I operate a Steadicam with an NEX-FS100 camera, and I need to find a non-extruding zoom lens. As you all know, balance is everything with Steadicam. I can't have a lens extruding forward every time I want to do a telephoto shot. It would completely throw off the balance, and force me to reconfigure the sled for every shot. Highly impractical at best.

I also need a wide angle of at least 18mm, auto focus, auto iris, and a reasonable zoom range.

It would be nice if this were available as an E-mount option, but I won't get my hopes up just yet.

I'm not above using an adapter if I have to.

What do you suggest.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Lens options for FS100 on a Steadicam
on Jul 31, 2011 at 11:00:59 pm

Well, what kind of zoom range are you looking for?

You say "I can't have a lens extruding forward every time I want to do a telephoto shot." But... I don't really know many Steadicam operators who can actually do telephoto shots. Actually, I don't know any... most if not all stick with wide angle primes.

I've been a Steadicam op for almost 20 years and I usually stick with 18mm, 28mm, or when I have to a 35mm prime. I'd never dream of trying a telephoto Steadicam shot.

Also, in addition to the focal length range, do you have a target budget? Most real cine zooms do have internal zooming only, and do not change lengths (or noticeably shift weight) when zooming. But, the really good ones are going to cost most than your camera. And probably your car, too... unless you have a really nice ride.

Might be able to help if you can narrow down those parameters.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]