FORUMS: list search recent posts

Nice lenses for a Sony F3?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Francisco Bech Gómez
Nice lenses for a Sony F3?
on Jun 7, 2011 at 7:08:19 am

Hello, I want to buy a Sony F3 without lenses, I think it has to be a better option for lenses in the market for similar price ar a bit more, I dont have too much experience, I like the ultra primes but they are very expensive, what options could you guy recommend? I would like something closer to the film look as possible.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Nice lenses for a Sony F3?
on Jun 7, 2011 at 2:10:45 pm

If you don't, as you say, have too much experience you might be better off going with the three-lens prime package that Sony offers with the camera.

From what I'm told, they're decent lenses, but not super great lenses. Although... they are very inexpensive. You'd be hard-pressed to find real PL mount cine lenses at close to that price range.

The used market for lenses has dried up a great deal since so many people are now using cine lenses on video cameras. However, if you can find them, you could expect to pay somewhere in the $15,000 - $30,000 neighborhood for a really good set of matched well-serviced and gently-used cine primes. A set of new Cooke primes lenses (or something equivalent) can easily top $100,000.

One option would be Russian LOMO lenses. These vintage lenses are just great cine lenses, and if you look hard enough you might be able to find what you need (although probably not in a full matched set), and they can be quite affordable. Ones that are PL-mounted are sometimes available, but are getting harder to find. Searching for these is probably best left to someone who is somewhat familiar with the LOMOs and very familiar with cine lenses in general.

So, while the lenses Sony offers for the F3 might not be absolutely A+ and a cinematographer's first choice, they're probably the most affordable option by far.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]