FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need advice on how to light a Night- Bathroom scene?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simona Analte
Need advice on how to light a Night- Bathroom scene?
on May 31, 2011 at 3:20:52 am

Hello!

I am soon going to shoot my first short project for my CV. It's a 30-60 second lactose intolerant commercial.
The story takes place inside a bathroom. A woman lays inside an old tub filled with milk. There will be a wide angle and few close-ups.
Shooting on Canon 5D.

Im having a bit of hard time deciding on how to light this scene.
The bathroom does not have windows. It's night time. Plan on lighting it soft with subdued muted tones.

How can I light to create that mood? What could be the motivating source?
China ball hanging out of the frame? Boost practicals with photofloods?

What would be the advantage and disadvantage of using a tungsten Kinoflo, fresnels or chimera...?

Any advice and help would be very much appreciated :)

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
Re: Need advice on how to light a Night- Bathroom scene?
on May 31, 2011 at 6:54:10 pm

It might look really nice to bounce light into the "milk," an eerie uplight with water waves.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 31, 2011 at 7:54:27 pm

votive candles all around the tub and sink in clusters add a motivated source and cool highlights.

Return to posts index

Simona Analte
on Jun 3, 2011 at 2:54:46 am

Thank you for the advice. Much appreciated it.

Return to posts index

Randy Rotheisler
on Jun 3, 2011 at 10:25:11 pm

The trick to “subdued” isn’t the light, it’s the shadows. You’re gonna have to make these- a large soft source in a small room is gonna light everywhere.

You might try flagging or netting off the light hitting the walls so that the amount of light decreases the higher you go. The dividing line between lighter and darker areas can either be sharp (a ‘hard cut’) or quite gradual (a ‘soft cut’).

Alternatively, just because your bathroom doesn’t have actually have a window doesn’t mean you can’t light it as if it does. Cut a ‘window’ out of a big chunk of foam core and sprinkle some ‘moonlight’ through it onto your subject or a dark wall. Shining the moonlight through fake tree limbs and leaves and window panes will help ‘sell’ it.

You MUST be very, very, careful with electricity- especially if your subject is immersed in liquid. Do not, under any circumstances, place lights or power cables where they could fall into the tub!

randy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]