<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael D. Dennis
Best video camera for 4000$
on May 28, 2011 at 1:35:21 pm

Hello. I want to buy a camera that has the following features:

-1080p/60p filming
-manual audio controls
-interchangeable lens to achieve that 5d/7d look
-egronomical with image stabilization so that i won't necessarily need a rig.
-good with fast action motion sequences
-budget around 3000-4000$

What would be the options? Thank you

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Best video camera for 4000$
on May 29, 2011 at 11:38:11 pm

Well, with those features and that price range, the answer to your video camera question "What are my options?" is sadly easy... there aren't any.

Sorry to say you're not going to find a proper video camera that has all the things you need in that price range. You'll find plenty that have adjustable audio controls, but you sure won't find any that have interchangeable lenses. By the way, the fact that a camera might have interchangeable lenses has little or nothing to do with that "5d/7d look" that you want. It's the large sensor size that gives you that look. It's just that big-sensor cameras usually happen to have interchangeable lenses since most people want to be able to put a variety of glass on them (usually primes that cost as much or more than your total budget each). But just because a camera has interchangeable lenses does not automatically mean that it has that big sensor which gives you the shallow DOF-look that you want.

I'd suggest that you revisit your list of needed features and decide which are the "nice to haves" and which are the "must haves." I don't think you're going to find anything in the current line of video cameras that fit the bill... however there will be several DSLRs that might... such as the 5D or 7D that you mentioned. Or even the cheaper T2i. Now, you're not going to get the things that are nice to have on video cameras, such as XLR audio inputs, phantom power, good ergonomics, or easy focusing... but there are workarounds for each of those limitations and if your budget is firm then they might be the only option. But as I said, first you need to pick which features are really really important, and go from there.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Patrick Jaeger
on May 31, 2011 at 7:29:34 am

That's not entirely true. The Panasonic AF-100 is slightly over the $4000 mark but has a large sensor, interchangeable lenses, XLR inputs and manual audio controls as well as 1080/60p over-cranked. It also has a traditional prosumer form factor.

The soon to be released Sony FS100 also has similar specs but is slightly more expensive than the Panasonic.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on May 31, 2011 at 2:39:26 pm

Yeah but it's still well over the $3000-$4000 budget... it's actually more pushing five grand, and that's for the body only. Start adding lenses and it will pile up fast (especially if you get really good lenses).

I haven't used the AF-100 yet so I can't give it a personal review (it might actually be great), but know a few people who have and they tended to use the words "plastic toy."

I keep waiting on Canon to release a big-sensor video camera... but not holding my breath. Right now personally I'd say the Sony F3 would be my choice in that realm... but then you're talking more than twice the price of the AF-100 (and still needing that expensive glass).

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on May 31, 2011 at 6:38:20 pm

[Todd Terry] ""plastic toy.""

then FANTASTIC PLASTIC must buy that camera!

(Also waiting for Canon)

Return to posts index

Gerardo Flores
on Jun 15, 2011 at 3:38:35 am

Todd When this canon its gonna be in the market???
do you think we will be able to make slow motions shoots at least 1000 fps; and how much do you think it gonna cost???

Best Regards

Gerard

learning after effects

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]