FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cant Find a camera needed for cockpit video

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Tocko
Cant Find a camera needed for cockpit video
on Apr 19, 2011 at 7:37:37 pm

I am a pilot who is wanting to get good hd video of flights. I've been all over the net but have a headache trying to find the right one.

There a few specs that would like to see or will defer to your suggestions. Im using suction mounts and headrest mounts for the camera. The big problem is the vibrations of the plane.

1. 3CCD or CCD (Want to eliminate the jello effect and prop effects that CMOS does)

2. External mic input or someway to get cockpit audio in (have adapter from aircraft intercom

3. flash memory (Or I can go to miniDV or HDD but wonder how the vibration will affect this. my HV20 cuts out once and awhile when vibrations get bad)

4. $300 to $600 budget.

Thats about it, not too concerned on battery life as I always get more when I purchase cameras. There are a couple of BULLET cams that are made but all use a CMOS sensor that makes the vibrations show too much on the video.

Thanks,

Josh

Return to posts index

grinner hester
Re: Cant Find a camera needed for cockpit video
on Apr 20, 2011 at 3:43:43 am

GoPro.

Return to posts index

Josh Tocko
on Apr 20, 2011 at 4:38:14 am

It's CMOS. And there isn't a mic jack. My overall goal is something I can use in and out of the plane with other lenses and filters.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Apr 20, 2011 at 1:44:04 pm

For $600 you get what you pay for. The Canon HF series have mic-inputs.

How about the GoPro as Grinner suggested and a Zoom audio recorder with a lav - sync it up later.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Apr 20, 2011 at 3:27:51 pm

Sorry but you are just not going to find a 3CCD camera with interchangeable lenses in the $300-$600 neighborhood.

You'd be better off trying, as Mike and Grinner suggested, something like a GoPro for the cockpit work and buying another/different/better camera for whatever additional on-ground work you are trying to do. I think this is one of those cases where you need a specialized tool, and that special tool is not going to be universally useful for all the things you need it to do.

On the upside, the lil GoPros are dirt cheap, so it's not a huge loss or investment if it doesn't work out. They're certainly cheaper than flying! (which is why I quit... my long list of unaffordable hobbies)

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 20, 2011 at 3:45:41 pm

You can find CCD-chip-using lipstick cameras, even analog ones, which will get you around the prop-distortion issues, but you'll have to snake an umbilical from them to their CCU box and power supply, then to some kind of recorder. That's a lot of spaghetti and separate black boxes to tie down. Panasonic and Sony make HD lipstick and bullet cams but many of them are now probably CMOS sensor-driven.

I still keep a Sony LS-1 analog lipstick cam here for specialty work, it matched our betacams very closely, and using a wide-angle lens on it it could be made to fit a 16x9 frame in post... but I'd rather have a Go-Pro myself.

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on May 24, 2011 at 11:51:59 pm

Looking for a small jet. Only need to make short hops over to LA and back to Phoenix. Needs to get great mileage on jet fuel and I want it to hold 8 people.

I have $ 5,000. Have any ideas?

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Ask me how to Market Yourself using Send Out Cards

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 25, 2011 at 1:00:02 am

A twin-jet Cri-Cri homebuilt, flying 8 round trips. But I take your point.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]