FORUMS: list search recent posts

can't duplicate this shot??

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ivan Gonzalez
can't duplicate this shot??
on Mar 2, 2011 at 11:43:20 pm

Hey guys,

I experimented with my hvx200 camera but im not sure if its just an effect on fcp or a high speed camera that they use.

Check this video out.

Effects on seconds 19 and 51. It seems like they're using reels for smoothness and using an effect to speed the video and than slowing it down. I want to learn how to do that. In 51 they do again but its much better with the water freezing.

Final cut's control of speed is really limited. Is there an effect to have more control of speed? All i know is the speed %. But no manual control like the ones in sizing and moving video.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: can't duplicate this shot??
on Mar 2, 2011 at 11:55:08 pm

Those are just simple speed ramps (footage shown at a speed much higher than the original fps of the source footage)....

BUT... the original footage was definitely overcranked and probably (almost definitely) shot with a high-speed camera. Hard to know which one, but could be something like the Panavision or Vision Research Phantom HD GOLD camera, or the Vision Research FLEX camera... or some other camera that can shoot high frame rates for true slow motion.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
Re: can't duplicate this shot??
on Mar 3, 2011 at 7:39:20 pm

Panny's hvx-200 will do this, just takes a bit of planning.

First, you need to be shooting at 48fps or 60fps (if you don't know how to do that, it's in the manual).

Second, you do the time remapping in post. I use final cut pro for this (this is also in the manual).

For time remapping I use 4 key frames, much like using audio to duck-out a loud bit, the middle key frames are what I move around. You can also had bezier handles to make the ramp smoother. Time Remap means the clip will still play the same amount of time, say 2 seconds, but the keyframing will allow you to play some frames faster or slower than normal.

You need to shoot 48 or 60fps in order to avoid some blur, i.e. the water drops.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]