FORUMS: list search recent posts

Camera Strictly For Slow Motion

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wes Hienz
Camera Strictly For Slow Motion
on Feb 25, 2011 at 4:03:54 pm

Hey, I'm looking for a camera to use only for HD slow motion shots. As of right now I wanted to compare prices with what features each camera has. I want to hopefully stay in the prosumer area but I'll consider all options. I saw the Casio EX-F1 but once you start to up the frames per second the resolution plummets. It also is a little dated and I hope there could be something newer out. I'm new to these forums so if there is a better place for this topic please let me know. Thank you for your time.

Wes

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Camera Strictly For Slow Motion
on Feb 25, 2011 at 7:34:49 pm

You might enjoy this demo:

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Feb 25, 2011 at 8:03:21 pm

The Flex is a sweet camera.

Another positive side effect of it is that it is driving down the price of its predecessor, the Phantom HD GOLD, as a lot of people are trading in their older models for the Phantom Flex.

Not that they're not still expensive.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Wes Hienz
on Feb 25, 2011 at 8:39:03 pm

I've seen that video but unfortunately that camera runs well over $100,000 which is outside my budget. Todd, do you know where people are selling their Phantom HD gold cameras?

I should have been a little more specific with what I was looking for. As cool as having over 2,500 fps would be, I would really only need 1,000ish and down. Still in HD though. Thanks for the help so far guys. I really appreciate it.

Wes

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Feb 25, 2011 at 8:52:56 pm

[Wes Hienz] "Todd, do you know where people are selling their Phantom HD gold cameras?"

They're trading them in directly to Vision Research (who makes them) and upgrading to the Flexes. VR then refurbs the GOLDs and sells them. I'm not sure for how much (they say it's a "breakthrough price"), but I imagine it is still several several tens of thousands of dollars.

[Wes Hienz] "I would really only need 1,000ish and down"

Well, it's a little tough to put an "only" in front of 1,000fps... as that is still screaming screaming fast in the HD world (or in any world, really). If you are looking for something more in the consumer or prosumer line (both quality and price-wise) I'm not sure that exists.... other than the Casio you mentioned... which, as you noted, really plummets the resolution as the frame rate goes up. Still it's a neat little camera, for what it is.

If this is a one-time thing or just a special shoot, the Phantoms (which are awesome) are available for rental from places like Able Cine as well as from other camera rental outlets... and I believe some Panavision offices still have them (although I've been told Panavision has gotten out of the Phantom business... but they still list them among their inventory).

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]