FORUMS: list search recent posts

Extreme macro close shots?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonatan Lyssens
Extreme macro close shots?
on Feb 10, 2011 at 2:39:09 pm

Hey,

I'm currently working on a film project in wich I have to film a book extreme close. I want to be able to film a individual letter in a text (or even a detail of a letter in a text) and the texture of the paper.

I'm filming this project with a JVC GY-HD 251 (HDV 720p) with a (standard) Fujinon TV-Zoom Lens a Th 16X5.5BRMU 1:1.4/5.5-88mm to be exact.

I have been experimenting with the macro focus, but I'm not getting not as a close (not by far) as I would like to go. I was wondering if I would have to rent an other lens (in that case which), another camera or a microscope (although I think that would be to close).

Any thoughts would be much appreciated,

With kind regards,
Jonatan

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Extreme macro close shots?
on Feb 10, 2011 at 5:46:35 pm

If you can't change lenses, would it work to just shoot thru one of those large page-size fresnel magnifiers you get at the drugstore for reading small type?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Feb 10, 2011 at 6:03:34 pm

Normally, you might be able to do this with a macro lens or even a front-of-lens screw-on closeup lens... but here we're talking EXTREME closeup, if you are getting down to single-letter, or even portion of a letter.

To get that close, yes, I think you are talking microscopic photography.

However, rather than a microscope, I think by far the easier way to do it is to fake it. We've had to do this on a couple of occasions, most recently when a television commercial called for a closeup of a word in a dictionary.

We threw the dictionary on a scanner and made an extremely magnified scan of the tiny section of print that we needed. We then printed it out on a color laser printer... and that jumbo version was what we then photographed. The scan was able to retain the texture of the paper and the organic look of the ink on the page... but we were able to light the new print exactly like we wanted (it was kind of dramatic lighting with a light swhoosh right across the word) and make a gentle camera movement, which we would never have been able to do with the tiny "real" print.

If you can't get a scan that big, then I think you'll have to go back to microscopic photography. I'd shoot the bit under a microscope with an SLR that has a microscopic attachment, and use that shot to create a print for re-photographing, as above.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Feb 10, 2011 at 7:05:52 pm

[Todd Terry] "We threw the dictionary on a scanner and made an extremely magnified scan of the tiny section of print that we needed."

Or... that scan could be taken into After Effects and one could accomplish the same effect with 3D layers, lights, etc...

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]