FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to shoot a silhouette

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eve Myhill
How to shoot a silhouette
on Feb 9, 2011 at 6:11:12 pm

HI All,

I am planning to film a quickie viral in silhouette. Not shot in this way before and so looking for a bit of advice. The idea is to film 2 people carry out some simple actions behind a screen, but the images have to be pretty sharp. Shooting on Sony EX3

Would i be best to...

A) Use a large piece of trace or thin paper and wham some lights behind them in a dark room

B) shoot against green screen, then invert image in FCP and frame it afterwards - but this might look contrived?

C) something completely different and more obvious that I am overlooking

Thanks,

eve

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: How to shoot a silhouette
on Feb 9, 2011 at 7:28:39 pm

Either method is fine. I would use chromakey myself, as I already have a dedicated setup for it. How you composite the silhouette will bear on how real it will look. Play with the compositing modes on your timeline to see the different effects possible.

Is there some compelling reason in a story sense to shoot it live using lighting? If we had an idea of what the skit was about, it might change the answer.

Return to posts index

Mark D'Agostino
Re: How to shoot a silhouette
on Feb 9, 2011 at 9:59:52 pm

You could light a white wall in the background and keep them far enough in front of it to avoid spill so they are not lit. This would give the silhouette a more dimensional look.

Mark D'Agostino
http://www.synergeticproductions.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]