FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lighting for Passage of Time

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Hodge
Lighting for Passage of Time
on Dec 7, 2010 at 9:02:59 am

I need to do a timelapse type of shot where the light comes through two windows that flank the talent. The windows have regular blinds on them and I wish to show the passage of time as the sun comes up, rises, and then sets and on into nighttime. There are also two windows on the opposite sides of the room.

I dont have the means to put the lights on a crane and crane the lights up. I would like to suggest that kind of effect which is naturally produced by the sun, but I need it real time and not a timelapse that would take more time on the location than I can secure the location for....no can do.

Anyone know what i am talking about at all and how to achieve it? Would be so greatfull

David Hodge
MFA Student Motion Pictures and Television
PMW-EX1, MacBook Pro, 1TB Lacie D2 Quadra, Mac Pro, Adobe Production Suite, Shake, Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Lighting for Passage of Time
on Dec 7, 2010 at 3:16:14 pm

Block out the windows, shoot your "plate" shot, and create the light beam effects with a volumetric in post-production?

Return to posts index

David Hodge
on Dec 7, 2010 at 6:38:06 pm

Can you do this in After Effects? How would one go about doing "Volumetrics?" A tutorial would be awesome if you can or desire to do one. Would you point me in the right direction where I can learn how to do this?

Thank you for your input.

David Hodge
PMW-EX1, MacBook Pro, 1TB Lacie D2 Quadra, Mac Pro, Adobe Production Suite, Shake, Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Kevin Cannon
on Dec 7, 2010 at 4:50:32 pm

Well, you could leave the lights stationary and move flags in front of it, but if you're going for the effect I think you are (timelapse environment with live action FG action?) the static lights won't have the same effect.

Perhaps a crankovator stand along with flags could allow you to raise them at the right speed (depending on your speed?) Build a platform to push on dolly track, put a crankovator on that?

I think they do this effect in Harry Potter 3 (the time-turning device turns back the environment towards the end) without CGI, but likely they have precisely controlled moving lights and multiple passes.

KC

Return to posts index

David Hodge
on Dec 7, 2010 at 6:53:13 pm

I haven't seen Harry Potter 3 as I am not the biggest Potter fan. (Just never had the chance.)

It would seem that doing the lighting effect in camera, on set, practically would be the easiest to make the lighting in the room react as it should to match the light coming through the window. I will have someone working with me that really knows compositing along with NukeX, but making it easier would be good.

I've never used a cranking stand like this....but will be checking into it. I hope they have a controller so the move can be repeated over and over again. I am basically a one person crew and as a result limited.

I will be making a camera move on a Kessler Crane Pocket Dolly with the use of their marvelous Oracle Controller. Too bad a crank-o-thing doesn't work on an Oracle set up. That would be good.

Also, what light do you suggest using...short of a HMI light as I don't have the production insurance to rent one nor do I have any experience firing up an HMI light.

David Hodge

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
on Dec 9, 2010 at 7:00:22 pm

During a day, the sun not only rises and sets, it moves laterally and the color temp changes (orange/blue/orange) with the angle and passage through the atmosphere.

You've set yourself quite a challenge if you're going to do it solo.

I'd try a setup with five to seven lights, orient and wedge them accordingly, then put them on programmable dimmers. Hope your budget allows for something like that.

Return to posts index

David Hodge
on Dec 9, 2010 at 7:13:30 pm

Well, I am thinking of getting a Kessler Crane and hooking it up with their Shuttle Pod system, and the Oracle Controller so that the crane can be programmed to move up and down at the right speed and be played back an infinite number of times in exactly the same way. Then, instead of mounting a camera I will mount a light. Something in a Litepanels 1x1 Bi-Color that you can change light temps would be fabulous. My budget may or may not allow for the 1x1 Bi-Color.

Tom Lowe set up a Kessler Crane and a Shuttle Pod system with Oracle to make programmed moves for time lapsing. It can be seen on vimeo and the Kessler Crane website.

I have no idea how I will mount the light to the crane.

David Hodge

Return to posts index

BrAd Steiner
on Jan 7, 2011 at 6:07:24 pm

have you considered something simpler?

but a light on a stand or pole, and have someone literally hold it parallel with the ground, then lift it up to be perpendicular? Gives the raising arc look to the light. It could be made to be semi-repeatable and takes only one extra person. Combine it with a dimmer change inside the room to bring up the total level too.

Just a thought.

Praise to the COW

BrAd Steiner
ImageWorks Media Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]