FORUMS: list search recent posts

shooting a post apocalyptic music video

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
noor hussain
shooting a post apocalyptic music video
on Nov 24, 2010 at 10:07:53 am

hey guys ! really need professional advice for this one.
i will be directing a music video set in a post apocalyptic period.as we don't have a proper established media industry in our country.so i wont have any professionals to work with.so il be the DOP and director at the same time. creating the ambiance of a post apocalytic era would take some considerations.i want it to have that cold bluish look.so this is how i have planned it.i need proper advice for this one

i) shooting at dawn or evening to have balanced diffused light all around..and to get a little fog or haze.(is this time correct for such ambiance)
ii) color correcting to get a really low saturated bluish tone.like in zombie movies.
(iii) art direction (people clothes with respect to buildings and area) should be more concentrated towards contrast due to lack of colors.

these are the only points that i could come to so far.and they might be incorrect as well.so guys shoot!!!! i would really appreciate the guidance you will provide me here

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: shooting a post apocalyptic music video
on Nov 25, 2010 at 12:19:13 am

That look is something you can do completely in post during the color grading process, using plug-ins and settings like "bleach bypass" from programs like like magic bullet looks, Nattress film effects, or Apple color, or the 3-way color corrector in Final Cut. You do not strictly need to pre-tint the footage, though your fooling-the-white-balance trick does work. I would opine that it is better to shoot the footage consistently unadulterated to give you the most flexibility in post for grading the colors. This would also let you concentrate on shooting for the kind of dynamic range and contrast you will eventually want.

I don't know who established it, but every post-apocalyptic film setting seems to demand two things that are cliche' and those are:

Random barrels full of burning trash material

and

shabby-dressed people wearing fingerless gloves.

I would like to see a post-apocalypse film that DIDN'T feature those tropes.

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Nov 28, 2010 at 11:07:48 am

haha thats so true.. I believe the origins are from 1980,s music video,s.. and totally knackered art department throwing out a couple of burning barrels.. used to keep the extra,s warm on freezing industrial estates in the East end of London.. also discarded shoe (childs is good) and half melted head doll..

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Nov 28, 2010 at 11:09:51 am

haha thats so true.. I believe the origins are from 1980,s music video,s.. and totally knackered art department throwing out a couple of burning barrels.. used to keep the extra,s warm on freezing industrial estates in the East end of London.. also discarded shoe (childs is good) and half melted head doll..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]