FORUMS: list search recent posts

New virtual camera technology

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ed Broughton
New virtual camera technology
on Nov 11, 2010 at 10:19:59 am

Hello Chaps,

I'm new here, and not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, I'm sure you can help me if I'm not.

I thought you may be interested in a new piece of tech that's being developed. I'm the video producer for Abertay University in Scotland, and made this short video about a new virtual camera system that's being developed at the Uni. I think it could be a step forward for creating more authentic handheld documentary style camera work within virtual sets, as well as having other uses besides.

Have a look and let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Ed.

Return to posts index

Kevin Cannon
Re: New virtual camera technology
on Nov 12, 2010 at 6:44:21 am

I like the idea of the tripod and dolly constraints. Perhaps an user-adjustable function that smooths out the pan and tilt would allow it to better emulate an adjustable fluid-head tripod. Being able to lock specific axis of rotation would simulate a geared head tripod...

Similarly, smoothing out translation, pan, tiit and roll at the same time could emulate stedicam. If the dolly constraint works vertically as well as along the ground, you've got a good crane...

Return to posts index

Ed Broughton
on Nov 15, 2010 at 9:28:49 am

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for watching and the feedback - I hadn't thought about the crane idea.

Cheers,

Ed.

Return to posts index

Matthew Bett
on Nov 15, 2010 at 1:02:08 pm

Hi Kevin,

Locking axis of rotation is something we can already do. We just hit the limit of the amount of functions that could be mapped to the buttons on the controller and werent sure what people would need, so we went for simple stereotypical functionality. We are kind of playing up the shakyness in the video to push how accurate the motion capture is but again adding in filtering and interpolation to the movement is easy (In fact the hardware has a built-in facility to do this)

Vertical dolly isn't currently in there but again its a simple change to make. If you have any more comments or suggestions then please let me know as this kind of feedback is very useful!

We are currently talking to a few different interested parties about where to take this technology so watch this space!

Cheers

Matt Bett

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]