FORUMS: list search recent posts

mixing color temperatures

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
noor hussain
mixing color temperatures
on Oct 28, 2010 at 5:34:34 pm

i know if you mix different color temperatures you get inaccurate color.so you never mix them..but what about the different lights going on in music videos.you know what em talking about..when they show a club ..how to deal with such situations

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: mixing color temperatures
on Oct 28, 2010 at 6:32:58 pm

[noor hussain] "...so you never mix them."

Well no, actually you can mix lighting types. People do it all the time, me included.

You just have to know what to expect when you mix the color temperatures, and whether or that that's an acceptable or desirable image. For example, I most often shoot with HMI lighting, but will often add a tungsten backlight, because I like the warmer look from behind. Conversely, sometimes I've had an all-tungsten lighting plot, but will put an HMI outside a door or window because I want that lighting streaming in to look cooler.

In a club situation, you might benefit from different lighting temperatures and actually get some cool stuff. That's a situation where I don't think you'd want all perfectly white balanced lighting. Imagine someone whose backlighting (or side lighting) was a very cool blue from neon tubes... or a character who was lit with predominately red lighting. It could lead to very cool effects, and ones where color can really drive the emotion of the scene.

People look different under different colors of light. Sometimes better... sometimes worse... sometimes different. Remember the character on Seinfeld?... a woman that Jerry was dating who looked beautiful under certain lighting, but a hag under others? It's true. This has me remembering back a million years to college days, where one particular horndog friend would swear by the philosophy that one should never take home a girl he'd met out at a bar or wherever if he had only seen her under red lighting... since that can cover a multitude of sins. Of course, he was very superficial.

So yes, you can mix lighting types. It just depends on the effect you are after.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Oct 28, 2010 at 6:57:22 pm

I happened to stumble across and example of what I was talking about....

This is a commercial spot that we did for a credit union a while back, purportedly as a movie trailer for a really bad movie...

I won't embed it, just give a link...
http://www.fantasticplastic.com/portfolio/downloads/fpe_spot03-highres.wmv

Notice especially the scenes in the phone booth, the bar, and the car. Those scenes had different types and different color temperatures of lighting mixed. It was all done purposely and for effect... i.e., we wanted the girl in the phone booth to have red backlighting, we wanted the guys in the bar to have cool blue sidelighting, etc....

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

noor hussain
on Oct 29, 2010 at 10:31:23 am

thankyou so much sir!. really appreciate it..

i have another question though.You know how in some videos,(concerts or gigs) there is a light flashing.it fills the whole frame with it.does that depend on angle?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]