FORUMS: list search recent posts

Explaining the Letus Extreme

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cole Bresnan
Explaining the Letus Extreme
on Oct 28, 2010 at 11:34:55 am

I need some help understanding the Letus Extreme 35 Adapter.

I have a Canon XH A1. So my questions are:

Do I need extra lenses (besides the stock lense) to use the Letus Extreme. If so, what lenses?
What thread size do I need?
What lens mount option do I choose?

Also, could someone please just run by me the exact process of how a Letus Extreme works and what's required to use one.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Explaining the Letus Extreme
on Oct 28, 2010 at 3:30:07 pm

I don't use the Letus, but I do DoF conversion every day (XLH1 plus P+S Technik Mini35), so I'm semi-qualified to answer some of your questions. Maybe others can chime in with more answers specific to the Letus...

[Cole Bresnan] "Do I need extra lenses (besides the stock lense) to use the Letus Extreme. If so, what lenses?"

You need whatever lenses you want to actually shoot with. Most people who shoot with DoF converters prefer to use prime lenses. The lenses you need? Well, it just depends on what you are going to shoot and how you like to shoot it. If you are a fan of longer lenses, you'll want long owes. Same for wide. Most of us keep a pretty broad range. Personally, the primes I always carry along are 18mm, 35mm, 50mm, 80mm, and 200mm. I also have a 6mm fisheye (rarely used) and a 37-140mm zoom. The zoom isn't used much, only for occasional exteriors since it is pretty slow.

Since DoF converters eat up a bit of light, you'll want the fastest lenses you can find/afford. Those considered "superspeeds" are ideal. Most of my lenses are f/1.3, although many people use slower lenses since they are much more affordable.

You'll need to make sure they are 35mm format lenses. There are a lot of 16mm cine lenses floating around, but they will not work. They'll fit, but the images they create are not big enough to cover a 35mm frame.

[Cole Bresnan] "What thread size do I need?"

Whatever size threads your stock lens is, which connects to the Letus.

[Cole Bresnan] "What lens mount option do I choose?"

It depends on whatever kind of primes lenses you have, or want to use. A lot of people use still-camera SLR lenses. If that's the case, you'll want a Canon or Nikon mount... which will enable you to use Canon or Nikkor SLR lenses. If you want to use professional cine lenses, there are a variety of mounts, but the PL mount is the most common (my lenses are PL). I think that the PL mount is the only professional cine mount that Letus offers, but that's fine since that's the most common one. The majority of cine lenses that you find for sale or rent are PL mount. Now that I think of it, I believe Letus might also offer a OCT-19 mount, which allows use of the very great (and affordable) Russian LOMO cine prime lenses.

[Cole Bresnan] "someone please just run by me the exact process of how a Letus Extreme works"

All DoF converters work in the same way. You can read more about DoF converters in general in a COW article I wrote quite a while back at the link below...

http://magazine.creativecow.net/article/focus-on-controlling-depth-of-field...

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]