FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to practice cinematography?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Loveland
How to practice cinematography?
on Oct 9, 2010 at 9:15:09 pm

Hey all.

My Professor just advised me to start mimicing "looks" of films- early morning scenes, film noir, etc.

I just realized that I don't really have a place to start. Any suggestions? Are there tutorials online I can go to, or should I just start cracking at it?

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
Re: How to practice cinematography?
on Oct 9, 2010 at 10:46:06 pm

Yes, just start doing it. Pick one of those looks. Try to shoot a similar look. You will discover a lot that way.

Rick Wise
director of photography
San Francisco Bay Area
part-time instructor lighting/camera
Academy of Art University/Film and Video (grad school)
http://www.RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

Joshua Klinkenberger
Re: How to practice cinematography?
on Oct 13, 2010 at 1:40:31 pm

Mimicing shots is definitely a great way to learn, especially when it comes to camera movement with editing. Not to be redundant, but going out there and shooting as much as possible is the best way to learn (as long as your actually thinking and paying attention)

I do a lot of photography and I think it helps a lot with composition. Obviously it does not take into account camera movement or subject movement but there are still some similar concepts that can be practiced between the two (rule of thirds, and horizon lines, etc)

I just picked up Cinematography: Theory and Practice: Image Making for Cinematographers, Directors, and Videographers. So far, it's incredible. Not the cheapest book but worth it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]