FORUMS: list search recent posts

Nun's knickers

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dylan Hargreaves
Nun's knickers
on Oct 4, 2010 at 8:40:10 am

Hi,

I recently bought a 2nd hand Letus Extreme (with Letus to FD adaptor) and a set of Canon FD lenses for an absolute bargain price on ebay.

I'm loving what's now coming out of my EX3 but I can see I'll soon be needing a matte box. Some of the FD lenses are quite small - down to something like 47mm - so I'm thinking I'll be also be needing a set of nun's knickers so they'll fit to the matte box.

So do any of you guys have any recommendations about a set up like this? For example, do the nun's knickers affect using a follow focus?

Cheers!

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Nun's knickers
on Oct 4, 2010 at 3:05:12 pm

Wow, I haven't heard the term "Nun's Knickers" in something like 20 years. Blast from the past.

They generally are not needed, and yes, will affect a followfocus unit if you let them get caught in the gearing... which is very easy to do. I haven't used them with a matte box, but our teleprompter has a similar cloth surround that gets caught in the gearing very easily if I'm not careful.

Most pro matte boxes will come with a set of rubber "donut" masks that fit at the rear of the matte box, in different sizes appropriate for the lenses. You don't have to have a light-tight fit there. All my lenses except one have a standard cine 80mm front, and the donut I use has about a quarter-inch space all around the lens and it works fine. The only way that would ever be an issue is if you had hard direct sunlight straight behind you reflecting off a filter and then back into the lens. Since I almost always use my matte box naked (no filters), it's not an issue.

I can highly recommend the swing-away matte box from RedrockMicro. It's super well made and a fraction of the cost of something like an Arri swing-away box. Or if you are really on a budget, Cavision makes some decent lower-end non-swing-away boxes that are ultra cheap (few hundred).

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 4, 2010 at 4:06:04 pm

Don't ask what the Brits call the "dead cat" wind-blocking cover for shotgun mics.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Oct 4, 2010 at 4:14:07 pm

Oh now I've GOT to know.

We get enough askance looks from clients just calling it the dead cat... could it be worse?

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 4, 2010 at 4:28:25 pm

Yes. Yes it can.

Return to posts index

Dylan Hargreaves
on Oct 4, 2010 at 4:35:46 pm

Can't say it's one I've heard either. Probably because it's not something you'd want to use around a client, but I'd imagine it's something phallic.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Oct 4, 2010 at 5:41:48 pm

Mark... I have a friend who is a soundman (or rather soundwoman) for the BBC... you're forcing me to ask her. :)

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 4, 2010 at 6:45:50 pm

No, don't ask her; the HR paperwork you're going to have to fill out afterwards will take a LOT of time. Can't really give you any more hints here but let's just say George Lucas would probably not approve.

Return to posts index

Dmitry Kitsov
on Mar 23, 2013 at 5:15:29 pm

Super extra funny. I thought I came up with the Chewbacca's P***s thing on my own.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]