FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vignetting on 82mm thread HD Fujinon Lens

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
W. Lawrence Stevens
Vignetting on 82mm thread HD Fujinon Lens
on Sep 1, 2010 at 5:19:40 pm

We just started shooting with a new Sony PMW-350 HD Camera and I am trying to bond with this camera and solve some problems.

The first is trying to put filters on the stock Fujinon 82mm thread lens. I shoot location glamour chiefly outdoors and always use a linear polarizer. Unfortunately, anything I put on this Fujinon lens creates a vignette, even the most narrow Tiffen. How can this be? I have been to a number of pro shops in LA for help and no one has a solution. Am I the only one trying to do this?

My question is, how do I get a polarizer (and potentially a softFX filter) on this 82mm lens without vignetting? I have a 82mm to Series 9 adaptor ring (and a nice Series 9 shade) but those cause vignetting if used with any other screw on filter. The only solution might be a Series 9 drop in.

Can anyone suggest a solution to this? Matt box? Help!

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Vignetting on 82mm thread HD Fujinon Lens
on Sep 1, 2010 at 5:33:11 pm

W,

Sounds like you need a matte box. In addition to holding the two filters and allowing you to rotate the Pola into it's sweet spot, the French Flag will shield the fare off the lens in backlit situations. All-in-all a very worthy addition to your kit!

JS

Return to posts index

W. Lawrence Stevens
on Sep 4, 2010 at 4:52:58 pm

Thanks John: that's probably where I'm headed. Any suggestions in LA for someone who can get me set up with what I need? So far, I'm not thrilled with anyone.

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Sep 4, 2010 at 5:19:34 pm

I'd talk directly with Jeff Giordano at 16x9 about the most appropriate Chrosziel offering. He'll either sell direct at a discount or send you to a dealer who will.

Here's link to their website:

http://www.16x9inc.com/store/cart.php

JS

Return to posts index

woody james
on Nov 3, 2010 at 3:51:10 pm

I have just bought this camera, and noticed almost immediately that the stock fuji lens has horrendous vignetting- worst at wide angle, but noticeable throughout the zoom range...

And i'm not even trying to add filters! I'm definitely going to get my money back for the lens because if this is just the way they are and this isnt a one off- then they really are crap! Unuseable I would say...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]