FORUMS: list search recent posts

Normal speed clip to slow motion

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Nicastro
Normal speed clip to slow motion
on Aug 12, 2010 at 3:06:15 pm

I'm posting this in the art of the edit forum too because I have a feeling this has both to do with shooting and post.

I'll be shooting some football footage and want create a final clip that goes from normal speed to slow motion without a cut or transition, just a seamless movement. HBO's Hard Knocks uses this effect a lot, that's the only show I can think of as a reference. What I'm seeking is just how to do to this. I'm assuming I need to shoot the footage overcranked. I'll be using an HPX-500 which I know can shoot at 60p overcranked. When I get to post do I speed up the clip to play at normal speed then slow it back down to play at the overcranked speed? I'll be playing the clip back at either 24p or 30p; which ever looks best. And I'm working in Avid Media Composer 4.0.

Any suggestions or changes would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
Re: Normal speed clip to slow motion
on Aug 12, 2010 at 4:40:54 pm

Sounds like you've got this under control. Yes, shoot high speed, then in post speed it up for normal playback, then progressively slow it down. If your final display is on TV or the internet, 30p will probably look smoother. Shoot a test.

Rick Wise
director of photography
San Francisco Bay Area
and part-time instructor lighting and camera
grad school, SF Academy of Art University/Film and Video
http://www.RickWiseDP.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/rwise
email: Rick@RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Aug 12, 2010 at 4:49:30 pm

Yep, Rick's right...

You'll probably want to shoot with a shutter speed in the 1/120th to 1/160th neighborhood. The "normal speed" footage will look a tad more stroby and choppy, but the slow-mo'ed footage will look great. Conversely, if you were to shoot with a 1/48th shutter speed, the normal footage would look good but the slow-mo'ed part would have too much motion blur and not look good. Unfortunately, when you are doing two different frame rates for the same clip it's an either/or situation, and you can't shoot with optimal shutter speed for both applications... you have to pick one or the other.

Later versions of Adobe Premiere Pro (CS3, CS4, and CS5) allow you to do easy and seamless speed ramps on a timeline from one framerate to another. Maybe your Avid has the same feature, I don't know... but if so, it's a breeze.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Eric Nicastro
on Aug 12, 2010 at 5:43:17 pm

Thanks so much Todd and Rick! I figured I had the right idea but since I've never done it before I wanted to see the advice of some experts before I shot some test footage.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]