FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Ghost" effect with green screen

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicholas Montgomery
"Ghost" effect with green screen
on Jun 20, 2010 at 7:25:13 am

Hi all

I may be confusing myself, but I'm trying to pull off the "Ghost" effect where there's a non-corporeal being who can have people/objects pass through him. I know this can be achieved with green screen (shoot background plate, "ghost" character in front of screen, then people passing through him walking towards the camera separately), but then I think of how to put it all together properly in the editing room and it doesn't make sense (how to get the people walking towards the camera to go from appearing behind "ghost" to passing through to and appearing in front of him).

Is this the right way to shoot this effect?

Cinematographer / Editor
Synn Studios Inc.

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekci S.O.A.
Re: "Ghost" effect with green screen
on Jun 21, 2010 at 1:21:27 am

Are talking about an effect like here (0:43)?

If so, that can be achieved via green screen and expanding matte (or rotomask). Its not very hard.

Need little more details on the scene to break it down better.

Emre Tufekci
http://www.productionpit.com

Return to posts index

Nicholas Montgomery
on Jun 23, 2010 at 12:14:31 am

Kind of like that. Specifically, in one instance there's three characters, two of them are "actually" there, one of them is just appearing there (a la "A Christmas Carol") experiencing the scene as it played out earlier. He happens to be standing in between two people fighting, one thrusts his sword "through" the visiting party and into his opponent.

Cinematographer / Editor
Synn Studios Inc.

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekci S.O.A.
on Jun 23, 2010 at 2:33:14 pm

The best way to do it is shoot it in 3 stages.

-Film a background plate.
-Film the (alive) actors with the sword.
-Film the ghost actor.

This way with 3 separate layers you can have the ghost (if needed) move behind the (live) actors, get stabbed and if needed move past in front of them while still retaining his opacity.

If you want the actor to phase through anybody (like in the trailer) you need to mask each extremity in post to reveal as he passes through the other people.

If you shoot it in higher resolution than needed you can add in camera movement to make it more believable.

Hope this helps.

Emre Tufekci
http://www.productionpit.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]