FORUMS: list search recent posts

Frame Mode

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ryan loetscher
Frame Mode
on Jun 18, 2010 at 6:04:01 pm

I cant seem to track down this answer anywhere... What's the technical, and true visual difference between Frame mode and true progressive. We have a xl-h1... which shoots 30F and 24F, which is still interlaced and not true progressive... though I cant find anywhere a real in depth explanation of this process. Just that its made to "look" and edit like progressive.

Also, is the 5D true progressive? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Micah McDowell
Re: Frame Mode
on Jun 21, 2010 at 3:05:19 pm

Canon has (to my knowledge) never really explained exactly HOW frame mode works. Regardless, it gives results identical to 24p from true progressive chips except for a very very small drop in resolution according to some testers. Basically, it's just true 24p by a different name.

The 5D mkII is definitely true progressive. No interlacing going on at any point there.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jun 21, 2010 at 3:14:49 pm

Agreed... it's kinda mysterious and no one can give a truly good explanation as to what 24f and 30f actually is.

However, I use Canon's 24f mode every day (XLH1).

It shoots, captures, looks, behaves, and edits exactly like true 24p footage. If in some way it is actually not true 24p footage, there is no discernible way to tell.

It does shoot with a natively-interlaced chip... but lots of true 24p cameras do, too.

One of the stories that is floating around is that it actually is plain 'ol 24p footage... and that Canon simply didn't want to pay the necessary royalties to officially call it 24p (there are some rights-holders issues with the term "24p" when applied to certain shooting processes, a trademark originally held by Robert Faber who invented/developed the FilmLook process that was big in the 80s and 90s... anyone remember that?).

The bottom line is, just consider 24f to be 24p... because that's what it is.

And I have never been able to perceive any resolution loss.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

ryan loetscher
on Jun 29, 2010 at 5:15:33 pm

I found an explanation of what it is... its interlaced footage where both fields are shot at the same moment in time. So its basically progressive. Why the hell they cant just then make it true progressive, or even what the difference is beats me. I guess it looks the same.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jun 29, 2010 at 6:11:18 pm

[ryan loetscher] "Why the hell they cant just then make it true progressive"

Money. They don't want to pay the exorbitant licensing fees for it to be and truly call it "24p"... even though that's what it is.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]