FORUMS: list search recent posts

transfer cool/warm

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Dervisevic
transfer cool/warm
on May 28, 2010 at 7:43:39 pm

can anyone tell me what "transfer cool" and "transfer warm" mean? I think they're part of the telecine process.

thanks
Rick

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
Re: transfer cool/warm
on May 28, 2010 at 7:54:44 pm

Sounds like telecine talk to me. Transfer cool would be give it a cool/bluish look, and transfer warm would be give it a warm/orangish look. I would always avoid such a general statement unless I were there to translate exactly what I mean. One man's bluish could be another's totally blue. Unless prevented by forces totally out of your control, always be present at the transfer of your film to video, and these days, of timing your video output. Or else buy large stock positions in Kleenex as you will weep copiously for days.

Rick Wise
director of photography
San Francisco Bay Area
and part-time instructor lighting and camera
grad school, SF Academy of Art University/Film and Video
http://www.RickWiseDP.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/rwise
email: Rick@RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

Rick Dervisevic
on May 28, 2010 at 8:24:03 pm

sounds right to me and thanks for the advice... I'm new to film so lots to learn!

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on May 28, 2010 at 10:13:05 pm

Call up the house doing the transfer and ask questions. If they're any good, they'll be glad you asked and happy to explain.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on May 30, 2010 at 11:58:06 pm

Cool colors are blues, and greens and warm colors are reds and yellows.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]