FORUMS: list search recent posts

Documentary - Mixing Red w/ other cameras

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bella Reeves
Documentary - Mixing Red w/ other cameras
on May 28, 2010 at 3:22:08 pm

We are shooting documentary-style promotional videos. The final product will be published to web, DVD and shown large screen for tradeshows. Videos will include mixed format stock footage, b-roll and formal interviews. We've scheduled the majority of interviews during industry related conferences, which really knocks down our # of shoot days; in turn, allowing us to up production value.

The budget allows for use of the Red, experienced DPs & beautiful locations for our formal interviews, but no Red for b-roll (large ships, technology, machines, submarines, inpromtu interviews) which would be shot on in-house Sony Z7Us w/ LetusUltimate adapters. The concern is that the footage won't cut together well and that quality contrast would be distracting.

I am a young producer (23) who landed a job with lots of opportunity/potential with a company whose primary function is government contracted R&D & project management. I am building the video dept. from the ground up - this being our first large project. I will be editing the video myself. I am working on a post workflow and seeking consultation from adept post houses prior to the purchase of a post setup. I can edit, I am determined and will get the job done, but do not have the experience to pull off complex color grading/matching. I want to make the smart choice, set a standard for our quality of work and learn as much as I can.

I would truly appreciate any constructive criticism, feedback, comments, opinions or suggestions. Thank you for your time!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Documentary - Mixing Red w/ other cameras
on May 28, 2010 at 4:51:46 pm

Can I come work for you?:-)

Maybe you're worrying for no reason. I mean, the glam red-shot interviews in their posh settings is one thing, and the gritty location stuff is another, and why try to blur the natural distinction? Isn't that something you'd just as well play off of as purposeful?

Do you *want* to make the factory floor stuff look all glossy and DOF-controled as the interviews? What's the underlying subtext of the program, what are what they call the "semiotics" of it?

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on May 28, 2010 at 10:10:30 pm

Can you get your hands on the Red for a test? Step out the door of the rental shop and shoot a minute. Shoot with your cam at the same time and compare. And you can also use that to test your workflow.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Jun 7, 2010 at 7:56:19 pm

[Bella Reeves] "no Red for b-roll (large ships, technology, machines, submarines, inpromtu interviews) which would be shot on in-house Sony Z7Us w/ LetusUltimate adapters."

Or without the Letus, you could go with the Sony Z7u's deep focus so that everything looks sharp - as Mark says, it would be a nice contrast with the RED interviews. If you try to emulate the shallow DOF of the RED with the Letus on a Z7U, it will look like you're trying to match - and you really can't.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jul 17, 2010 at 10:01:12 pm

You can go a long way getting a low depth of field with a neutral density filter, then max out the aperature to f/1.8. Remember, in an low end camera, going f/22 will most likely reduce image quality due to the circle of confusion effect in optics.

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]